/ Dolomites - Mountain Biking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Neil Adams - on 25 Apr 2012
Hi,

A few of us are off to the Dolomites in the summer. Some of the party are hoping to bike rather than climb - I've seen bits of info on mountain biking in the Dolomites but am struggling to find many details.

Has anyone got any recommendations for good trails - either fun singletrack or long, wild expeditions?

Cheers,
Neil
LaMentalist on 25 Apr 2012
In reply to Neil Adams:

This link maybe of use Neil ; http://www.bikemap.net/regional/Italy/Veneto/Padua#lat=45.39551&lng=11.86347&zoom=8&type...

have a good search on the maps , click the arrows in top right hand corner (of map) for bigger view . Have fun .
Neil Adams - on 25 Apr 2012
In reply to LaMentalist: Wow - looks like there's a huge amount of information there, although it'll take a bit of sifting. Thanks!
OffshoreAndy - on 25 Apr 2012
In reply to Neil Adams: I'm interested in what people have to say about this. In my 2 week experience in the dolomites and around Arco instead of 30mins world-class single track descents that I was expecting all I seemed to ride on was wide, loose gravel tracks and 2 hour road slogs back to the top. I went away really appreciating the biking and the centres we have in the UK and would not go there to bike again. Of course the scenery was amazing but what did I miss?
As you can see from that website Neil there's frankly too much info. If I went again I would seriously consider getting a guide for a couple of days.
alanbill99 - on 26 Apr 2012
I'd also be interested to see what anyone else has to add to this. I've been to the Dolomites about 6 times all in and the last couple in particular looked for some 'offroad' stuff.

Didn't really find much on the web and having walked most of the Dolomites, have not really seen much out there that's suited.

The problem with the Dolomites is that a lot of it is wide dirt tracks at low level. Once at higher levels, yes there are some of the beautiful alpine tracks to use (am not sure on the legality of this !) but the vertical drops round there are second to none!

I think the only advice would be to go and explore. Yes half the time you may feel like you are time wasting, but for the few trails that you will discover it may just be worth it.
dinkypen - on 26 Apr 2012
In reply to alanbill99:

The mountain biking in the Dolomites looks pretty amazing to me!
http://dolomitesport.com/photo-galleries/?album=1&gallery=2

More info on self-guided trips here;
http://www.holimites.com/mountain-biking-dolomites.php?lang=en
OffshoreAndy - on 26 Apr 2012
In reply to dinkypen: The pictures in that top link basically sums up my experience. Amazing views but look how dull the riding is.
alanbill99 - on 26 Apr 2012
In reply to dinkypen: Yeah - I could tell you where virtually all those were taken (a lot above Corvara), but again, they are footpaths and there's no way of telling from a map the quality / width of em.
ads.ukclimbing.com
mike kann - on 26 Apr 2012
In reply to OffshoreAndy: I guess dull rather depends on your definition of exciting. If you like freeride style riding then riding on wide track WOULD be dull.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.