UKC

Linn of Dee to Glen Feshie with a trailer...feasible?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gadameer 25 Apr 2012
Just wondering if anyone has biked this route before. I'm embarking on a coast to coast trip next month but I'm unfamiliar with this section. Do you think it would be ok with a single wheel cargo trailer or should I go and buy some panniers?
Tim Chappell 25 Apr 2012
In reply to Gadameer:

If you try this then please, please wear a helmet cam, with mike, and put the resultant footage of pitiful blundering, bog-glitching, multiple mechanical failure, horrifying profanity, and whimpering cries for help on the web.

To put it another way: I wouldn't
 tony 25 Apr 2012
In reply to Gadameer:

I've seen bikes and trailers as far as Geldie Lodge, but I don't know what the remaining section to Glen Feshie is like.
OP Gadameer 25 Apr 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell:

Thanks Tim, that's what I needed to know. As long as I can stay in the saddle then the trailer is pretty good but it's a total pain in the arse if any pushing/carrying is required. New kit it is :-D
Tim Chappell 25 Apr 2012
In reply to Gadameer:

My reply was semi-joshing. I haven't actually been that way, not beyond White Bridge (from the Dee side) and high up in Glen Feshie near Mullach Chlach a'Bhlair (from the Feshie side). But I do suspect from looking at OS map + google satellite pictures, up as close as I can get them, that that 4-odd-mile stretch would be hard work with a mountain bike with no load on it, and absolute murder with a loaded MTB.

Of course I'll shut up and yield the floor to anyone who's actually done it.
Tim Chappell 25 Apr 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell:

PS What I have done is White Bridge to Glen Tilt. There's a lot of pushing in that trip. It's not an unpleasant push, far from it, but it's not really rideable between the old house a couple of miles S of White Bridge, and the beautiful watersmeet on the Tilt about a mile above the Bedford Memorial.

Not an unpleasant push, that is, assuming an unloaded MTB. I'd *hate* to do that stretch with panniers or, still worse, a trailer.
 rif 25 Apr 2012
In reply to Gadameer:
Did it on a hybrid ~15 yrs ago as part of a two-day Tour des Cairngorms. It's a great ride through contrasting scenery, but tough going in the central section. The 5km from opposite Geldie Lodge to the Eidart footbridge took me over an hour on a very faint path: ride maybe 20m, get off at ditch/stream/bog/rocks and push 50-100m, repeat ad nauseam. I've never ridden with a trailer but it seems unlikely that it would be fun on this terrain. Also, the first few km down into Glen Feshie is narrow incised singletrack where it's hard not to catch a pedal, and just before the glen opens out towards Glenfeshie Lodge there is/was a landslide gully across which bikes have to be carried.
jjmacewan 26 Apr 2012
In reply to Gadameer:

I've biked it a couple of times, as part of a loop from Blair Atholl over the Minigaig so W>E and another time as a loop from Inverdruie coming down the Lairig Ghru so E>W.

If you are used to Scottish hike a bike then its pretty bikeable. Maybe not with panniers though, I realised after a couple of trips that panniers are not the way to go when going cross country in the highlands. My preferred option for multiday trips is a 20l sac and a drybag strapped to the beam of a seatpost rack.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...