UKC

Kev Shields: Ben Nevis article

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 IanMcC 26 Apr 2012
Excellent article by Kev Shields here:
http://www.lyon.co.uk/outdoor/News-Events/kev-shields.html
 Martin W 26 Apr 2012
In reply to IanMcC: Pace my posting on the Fiva thread: Trek & Mountain magazine really ought to know the difference between "peddle" and "pedal", even if Kev Shields doesn't. (I don't believe that Lance Armstrong is an itinerant retailer, and even if he is I'm not sure what relevance it has to a brown-trouser moment on Smith's Route.)

Sorry, it's one of my pet Internet hates, along with "should of" instead of "should have" (which really makes my brain crunch its gears) and "its'".

I shall now return to my pedant's cell.
 L.A. 26 Apr 2012
In reply to Martin W: Should that not be 'pedants` cell' ?
CorneliusVS 26 Apr 2012
 glaramara 26 Apr 2012
In reply to IanMcC: And the Kevster is doing a talk on friday in Fort William i believe with Clive Rowlands of The Ogre fame.
 pebbles 26 Apr 2012
In reply to CorneliusVS: and one of mine is the use of latin phrases such as 'pace'(regarding) in place of a perfectly good plain english one that everyone will understand regardless of whether they studied latin in school. At least I could tell wtf Kev Shields meant without having to google the word.
 pebbles 26 Apr 2012
In reply to pebbles:
> wtf

oops. oh, the irony
In reply to pebbles:

'Pace' doesn't mean 'regarding'. It means something more like 'notwithstanding'.

I always find people complaining about Latin phrases being used in English silly inverted snobbery; do you have the same problem with, say, 'joie de vivre'?

KS - nice article, top fellow.

jcm
 pebbles 26 Apr 2012
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: As I said, I googled it,and thats what it came up with. I dont really care that much, I just thought the post picking out a spelling error as the one thing worth commenting on in an interesting and very honest article was a mite petty.

I thought the article was excellent, specially the parting line "So there it is; the game which now holds sway over every aspect of my life began as a naive young man’s attempt to impress a girl!...'". Made me grin on a grey and wet morning.
 tony 26 Apr 2012
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
> KS - nice article, top fellow.
>
Seconded. No side to him, just good and straightforward, much more honest and open than most, and way braver than most. We could with more like him.
 Skyfall 26 Apr 2012
In reply to IanMcC:
Great stuff.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...