/ which touring set up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
skarabrae - on 26 Apr 2012
thinking of getting some skis for the cairngorms, mainly for touring on the plateau, with the possibility of skiing into a coire n doing some climbing. but unsure of which ski set up to get.

1) alpine style touring kit, dynafit/fritchi bindings, plastic boots
2) nordic style kit (have the skis,old ones)3 pin bindings n fischer bcx style boots

any advice please.
OwenM - on 26 Apr 2012
In reply to skarabrae: If you want to use the same boots for skiing and climbing go Alpine, Nordic/telemark boots are crap for climbing in.
Doug on 26 Apr 2012
In reply to skarabrae: When I lived in Strathspey I mostly toured in single cambered skis with 3pins or cable bindings with leather boots similar to todays lighter plastic telemark boots. With skins for longer uphills & waxes for undulating terrain it worked fine.

I guess it really depends on your style of skiing - for long tours with little steep skiing go light & Nordic, if you plan on skiing steep slopes (such as gullies which are easy climbs) Alpine or heavier versions of Nordic gear would be better
In reply to Doug: thanks for the reply doug, what i`m thinking is, on days when the climbing is poor, but the plateau is good for touring then i can do that instead of climbing, it would be good if the boots could also take a crampon for easy stuff (grade II or III), not really too fussed about downhill performance (at the mo) happy to snow plough turn.
rif on 26 Apr 2012
In reply to skarabrae:
Like Doug says. Personally I'm in the Nordic camp, and there's no doubt that Nordic is quicker on the plateau and much lighter to carry up to the snowline. BC boots give a lot less control than stiff old-school leather boots or modern plastics like T4/Excursion, but if your skis are skinny they would suffice. Fitting crampons to Nordic boots can be a problem (basket-style front fixings won't go over a 75mm duckbill, you need the wire bail type or an ancient adjustable crampon) and because all Nordic boots are designed to flex easily fore-and-aft they're not good for steep frontpointing. I've done grade I and Alpine PD with crampons on leather duckbill boots but wouldn't fancy anything harder (though a friend has done grade III with similar kit).
Doug on 26 Apr 2012
In reply to rif: I've climbed one or two grade IIs with old style leather telemark boots with even older Salewa flexible crampons. It works but isn't great. Its easier to climb in my plastic tele boots (Scarpa T3), not used them in Scotland but guess II or III would be OK, especially if snow/névé rather than water ice.
In reply to rif: which boots would you reccomend out of these :-

http://www.braemarmountainsports.com/categories.php?cat=Boots

70mm ski
rif on 26 Apr 2012
In reply to skarabrae:
Top priority is comfort, which you can only assess by trying them on in the shop. Beyond that, if climbing is on the agenda, T4 or Excursion would be best since much stiffer than the others. If just touring the tops, BC boots (for BC bindings) or BCX boots (duckbill, for 3-pin or cable bindings) are a lot lighter. My impression is that the Fischer BCX boots will give rather more downhill control than the Salomon or lighter Alpina BC boots, but that's just based on what they feel like in the shop, I haven't done comparative tests on the hill. I haven't seen the Alpina 2250 but it looks sturdier than the other BC boots.

Rob F
In reply to rif: thanks rob, your being great help, one final question, then i`ll leave you in peace ;-)

which binding would you go for, basic 3 pin (no cable)
or 3 pin with a cable?

cheers again, davey.
rif on 26 Apr 2012
In reply to skarabrae:
I'm going to be unhelpful now and say it depends on personal preference and just what skis and boots need to be connected. Cables are reckoned to give more downhill control, but I don't know how much more because nearly all my skiing has been on basic 3-pin (on skis less than 70mm wide but with quite stiff leather boots). Maybe Doug or others have an opinion?

Rob

PS if you're size 9.5/10 pm me because I have a pair of little-used boots that I'm thinking of selling.
In reply to rif: size 9, but thanks for your advice, you`ve been great.

cheers, davey.
Doug on 26 Apr 2012
In reply to rif: I used to say cable bindings gave better control but I suspect that was due to the interaction between boot & binding. With leather boots, cables definitely gave better control, probably as the cable effectively stiffened the boot. But with plastic boots I find that the difference is much less & I'm happy with 3pins.

But the widest skis I've used with pins would be around 60-65 mm underfoot, all my wider skis have cables or 7TMs. I think my favourite bindings were probably the old Chouinard Rivas but they haven't been on sale for years, I can't even find replacement cables anymore :-(
ads.ukclimbing.com
In reply to Doug: all excellent advice, thanks guys.
I already have the skis, so think I,ll get some t4 or excursions & super telemark bindings, should give me so.e fun.

Thanks again, Davey.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.