UKC

PYB Conville Course

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JKBowers 27 Apr 2012
Has anyone found out if they're on this years alpine Conville course yet?
 Nathan Adam 27 Apr 2012
In reply to JKBowers: I've been confirmed to be on the Alpine Preparation at PyB at the end of May. They might be holding off a little while longer if the alpine course isn't until June time !
 Ragingpossum 27 Apr 2012
In reply to JKBowers:
I am yet to find out as of yet.
On their website it states that they will inform applicants by the end of april so only three days to go.

Fingers crossed!
In reply to JKBowers: I've applied for the Jonathan Conville Alpine course and I still haven't heard anything, I presume since its gone 6 O'Clock friday we wont hear anything till monday now
OP JKBowers 30 Apr 2012
In reply to JKBowers: Has anyone heard back today?
 Ragingpossum 30 Apr 2012
In reply to JKBowers: I got an email just gone 5 o'clock.
 Petarghh 30 Apr 2012
In reply to JKBowers: I did it a couple of years back, took them a bit longer to get back than they say, it was first couple of weeks in may I think, they called me and told me I was on it.

Its awesome, you'll all learn shed loads!

Pete
 Nathan Adam 30 Apr 2012
In reply to Petarghh: Yeah, they called me up first to let me know I had received a place on the Alpine prep course and then sent me email confirmation.
 luckywally 02 May 2012
I'm on the Alps course, 17th-19th June. Anyone else?
JackG 03 May 2012
In reply to luckywally: me too, 17th June. Have sent you a PM.

To everyone still waiting: I think they're calling people over a few days before sending an email out, I'm sure they've got a long list to get through so if you haven't heard anything yet it might be a good sign!
 psaunders 03 May 2012
In reply to JKBowers: I'm on the course 10th June and probably hanging around for a couple of weeks until about the 25th.

I'll be looking for parters so anyone else going on the course (or anyone else for that matter) do get in touch.
 trivett 03 May 2012
Hi all, I'm on the course starting on the 24th June! Hoping to stay for a week or so after the course and get some other stuff done, is anyone else on that (or an earlier) course and in the same position? Get in touch!

I'm planning on camping and probably taking the bus as it seems to be the cheapest way, are most people planning the same thing? Also would like some advice on where you can safely leave kit (ie rack, passports etc) while out in the mountains if your camping and don't have a car?

PT
 Ragingpossum 03 May 2012
In reply to JKBowers:

I unfortunately didn't get a place on the course but I am still going out from the 15/6 till around the 7/7 so will be very happy to join up with people over that time period. So let me know if your around then etc.

In answer to the kit storing issue, the Argentier (I can't remember how to spell it) campsite (where you will most likely will be staying) allows you to leave kit there for a small fee I believe.
 col3 03 May 2012
In reply to trivett:
I know two people who got on that course from my club at Warwick University. They'll probably stay round after, with other Warwick people being around roughly then.

Personally, I did the Conville last year. Met loads of people (most students) on the bus and on the campsite so usually there's someone to do stuff with. I would recommend the campsite over and over as it's the best way to get to know people, sort out climbing, etc. As for transport, I hated the coach (it was late and it was stuffy) but I prefer trains so I'm probably going to use them this time. But if coaches don't bother you, it is the easiest and cheapest way of getting out there.

Last year I just left my passports buried in my clothes and hoped...
 Brev 03 May 2012
In reply to Ragingpossum:

I did the course last year, and on the dates that I did it, 3 places had become available at the last minute as a result of people cancelling. So if you're around for quite a while there might be a chance of joining the course at the last minute.
 luke321 03 May 2012
In reply to trivett:

I'm also on the course starting on the 24th. I think I'm going to be getting a coach so I might even see you on that! I can only seem to find a coach that gets in on the 22nd, not the 23rd though. Are there any other coach companies out there apart from euro lines/national express?

I'm going off on a family holiday after a week (on the 30th) but will be looking for someone to do some climbs with before then. I'll be coming back a week later, does anyone know if the campsite lets you store tents/axes/climbing stuff there safely for a week? Or if you can get a locker in a ski hire shop?
 trivett 04 May 2012
In reply to luke321:

Yeah they don't seem to run coaches getting in on the 23... I don't know of any other coach companies I'm afraid, though doesn't mean there aren't any.

Looks like there will be loads of people about the campsite which is awesome!
 JimboWizbo 04 May 2012
In reply to JKBowers: I'll be there next weekend. Lifts available from anywhere between Coventry and Wales
 Petarghh 05 May 2012
In reply to JKBowers: Any of you convillers after kit for the course ? Im selling a pair of Sportiva Nepals in size 9.5 or euro 44 and a pair of technical tools (both good condition), as im off to Yosemite this summer and need cash for cams! PM if interested.
 franksnb 05 May 2012
In reply to JKBowers: i'll be on the course june 24th..26th and may stay for a week afterwards if the weather is good. dundee based, let me know if you want to meet up pre or post trip!
 ford23 05 May 2012
In reply to JKBowers: hey, im on the coarse 27 june. really excited as there meant to be awsome. hoping to stay around for a week or two after to get in as many climbs as i can after the coarse? anyone else interested ? anyone know how far the campsite is out of chamonix as a mates offered there couch to sleep on in cham?
 col3 06 May 2012
In reply to sethmford:
15 mins or so by bus, which is free if you stay on the campsite.
 Bee_1 06 May 2012
In reply to JKBowers:
I'm quite jealous of you all really! I couldn't apply this year as I dont finish uni till the 16th July!
I did my ml training at pyb a few weeks ago and my course director is one of the guides (Stu Mcaleese) working on these courses so I'm sure youll have a great time.
Would be really interested to hear how you found it as hopefully the dates won't clash next year!
 chrisbaggy 06 May 2012
In reply to JKBowers: I'm on the one starting on the 20th June if anyone else is on the same course.

Chris
In reply to JKBowers: Is anyone on the course starting on the 1st of July? I'm around on these dates and contemplating the best ways to get there... flying seems to be the cheapest and most convenient atm (no coaches available for some reason) but if I gather 1-2 people I might consider driving (I'll be coming from Scotland?
 Rintygold 14 May 2012
I'm on the course on 24th June, then heading to the Italian side with friends for 2 weeks. From Belfast, planning on flying out on Sat 23rd. Looking foward to it!
 JimboWizbo 15 May 2012
In reply to JKBowers: I got my dates mixed up, I'll be there this weekend, driving from Coventry on Friday afternoon (around 2pm), anyone is welcome to a left
 JimboWizbo 15 May 2012
In reply to JKBowers: Or a lift, your choice
 FranC 15 May 2012
In reply to JKBowers: Hiya, I'm on the 27th- 29th course - anyone else?!
 Ragingpossum 23 May 2012
In reply to JKBowers:

Just found out that my reserve place came through, I am now on the 20th June.
 R_W_M 23 May 2012
In reply to Ragingpossum: Congrats mate I'm on 17th - 19th but I'll be around from the evening of the 15th...
 Rintygold 30 May 2012
In reply to trivett: Hey, I'm on the course too, interested in the answers to the same questions. Also, would like to share tent space as I don't have the luggage capacity for one
 lau 9 01 Jun 2012
In reply to psaunders: Hello! I'm on the course on the 10th June as well, can only stay out for a couple of days afterwards though (until friday) but still up for something if there's time!

Are you taking a rope out? Can't decide as I've only got a fairly heavy 60m...
 peaker16 05 Jun 2012
In reply to JKBowers: I'm on the course, 10th to the 12th June
 peaker16 05 Jun 2012
In reply to psaunders: Hey, I'm on the course 10th to the 12th too, I'm meeting a friend just after the course has finished and staying for a few weeks perhaps until the 27th ish lol were also hoping to get through into zermatt as well, your welcome to join us
In reply to peaker16:
Hey, I'm on the course 17th - 19th and then looking to stay out for a few days afterwards depending on my work schedule, Probably going to get the coach unless anyone knows of any cheaper ways out there from Manchester?
 peaker16 06 Jun 2012
In reply to barneythevelociraptor: cool... ill be staying in the du glacier d'argentiere camp site, ill be on my own so if anyone else wants to get in contact from the conville course my number is 07526571097 ill be sticking around in cham for about 2 weeks after the course
In reply to JKBowers: I'm arriving in Chamonix on the morning of the 15th and I'll be staying in the du glacier d'argentiere till the the 21st, if anyone fancies doing some routes before or after the course drop me a text on 07771282627.
 trivett 14 Jun 2012
A week till I'm heading out to Cham and im getting pretty excited. How have the courses been for those who've had theirs? Any advice etc?

I'll be getting into Cham Friday morning, then staying at the argentiere campsite. I'll be the guy with an excessive amount of gear and a green terra nova quasar tent, if you see me, come say hi!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...