Gear forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Non dry-treated rope: any real disadvantage vs dry-treated?

ksjs - on 30 Apr 2012
Thought this might have been debated to death on here but seemingly not. 'Everyone' says dry-treated ropes are better, they give longer life, better handling, less dirt / moisture ingress etc.

I can understand that if you're winter climbing then it's nice if your ropes are less likely to freeze. But let's assume you're a fair weather climber who doesn't like the wet and has no intention of winter climbing. You also look after your ropes and don't trail them through the dirt, stand all over them etc.

Would dry treated ropes be of any real benefit here? More generally, is there any data to support the assertion that dry treatments actually give rise to the benefits they're supposed to?

I'm talking half ropes here really but I guess it applies to all rope types. Strangely though I might be less willing to compromise on a single rope i.e. I'd always opt for dry-treated here. I suspect however this notion is based on nothing other than misconceptions / belief in oft-repeated 'truths' about what dry-treatment can do.

I wonder what sales of dry-treated vs non dry-treated single ropes are like in France and Germany, might be interesting to see breakdown?
... not showing 14 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums