UKC

Ruptured supraspinatus tendon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 littlevic 30 Apr 2012
hello

Just wondering if anyone else can give me the heads up on what to do whilst I'm waiting for surgery, and in recovery?

I'm a keen climber and devastated really so any info/advice on working towards a speedy recovery would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
 Root1 30 Apr 2012
In reply to littlevic:
Hi, Vic I had a severe supraspinatous tendon injury after slipping on ice on Hellvellyn. It took a year of physio post op before i got back to climbing. It's been 15 months since the op and I am still only managing to second V Diff. It depends on the severity of the injury on how long recovery takes, but you MUST be absolutely religious in following the physio exercises to the letter EVERY day.
It can be a long haul but you will get there.
Good Luck.
OP littlevic 30 Apr 2012
In reply to Root1:
> (In reply to littlevic)
> Hi, Vic I had a severe supraspinatous tendon injury after slipping on ice on Hellvellyn. It took a year of physio post op before i got back to climbing. It's been 15 months since the op and I am still only managing to second V Diff. It depends on the severity of the injury on how long recovery takes, but you MUST be absolutely religious in following the physio exercises to the letter EVERY day.
> It can be a long haul but you will get there.
> Good Luck.

oh I'm so sorry that sounds as though you've had a bad time too. 15 months and you're seconding v Diff - really? I don't think I realised how bad this was, what were you climbing at before your injury? Good luck with your continuing recovery and thanks for your reply
 Root1 01 May 2012
In reply to littlevic:
Was climbing up to E1 and winter 5. But it was a severe tear. If yours is a chronic tear rather than an acute tear it will repair quicker and better.It all depends on the severity. A friend with a chronic tear (that comes with age) was ok after 4 months post op.But he wasn't expecting to climb on it.
 neilh 01 May 2012
In reply to littlevic:
Religously follow the physio's/conuslyants advice after the operation and do not climb on it until they say so.It's murder getting your muscles realigned afterwards, but just stick with it. I found yoga helpgful to get full movement back, but that takes a good few months after the consultant says it's ok.

Whilst waiitng for the surgery do running or something else.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...