UKC

Scafell wild Camp Advice needed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Adam_Gls 30 Apr 2012
Hi all, Im planning to do a weekend of walking with a wild camp on saturday night at sprinkling tarn, just after a bit of advice from anyone with experience of the area,
Firstly were arriving on saturday morning and were thinking of heading up Scafell Pike via sprinkling tarn with the aim of hiding some gear tents etc and returning to camp after summiting? Has anyone done this and is it wise or any other suggestions?
Also as its our first wild camp any hints or advice would be great, done some reasearch which seems to suggest all day hill gear plus tent, bag, stove, pans, spare warm clothes, food and maybe some gin if space lol, anything else which may be handy? Thanks in advance
 jas wood 30 Apr 2012
In reply to Adam_Chester: sounds like a plan plenty of stash places but I wouldn't have thought you gear would get nicked anyway.
Don't take too much (bivvy an option?)plenty of tea to slurp, you can also camp at sty head if its too busy at sprinkling (gets busy).Share a pan between the group and take boil in the bag food.
 Carolyn 30 Apr 2012
In reply to Adam_Chester:

Insect repellant's probably useful, too
 Billy the fish 30 Apr 2012
It’s a popular place for wild camping and consequently the water has a reputation for bing a bit dodgy. I’d boil it or carry it in from further afield.
Adam_Gls 30 Apr 2012
Thank you for replys will definatly pack the repellent experienced Skye last summer, ouch lol, bivvy might be a bit tricky this time as theres four lads and three four legged friends, were thinking about taking two two man tents up, ill be buying new one but quick question, for the areas were thinking is a mountaineering tent required this time of year or would a vangoo banshee or similar do the job?
Adam_Gls 30 Apr 2012
In reply to Billy the fish: Thanks mate will carry some in then probably,
 hedgepig 30 Apr 2012
In reply to Adam_Chester: For a one night fly-camp you can afford to carry nicer food. Even fresh vegetables. And beer.
A round trip up Scafell Pike and back along the corridor route would be a nice outing, then Gable on the Sunday.

There does seem to be a rule that things don't get stolen from wild camp tents. My sister had her tent stolen from a campsite near a road, but that was extraordinary.

And pack out absolutely everything including bogpaper. The location gets fairly heavy use. Or you could skip the fresh veg and beer and not need the bogpaper.
 GrahamD 01 May 2012

Don't stash your gear unless there is absolutely no chance of the weather clagging in ! Personally I wouldn't bother with a gear stash and try to plan a more circular walk.
 victorclimber 01 May 2012
In reply to Adam_Chester: ive always put the tent up at the Tarn and left it never had a problem,I go to the far end and up the hill from the Tarn..couple of good places to camp on the corridor route .
 Billhook 01 May 2012
Problem stashing gear in rocky places is being able to find it afterwards. I've done that with a rucksack and it took an hour or two of panicky looking for it after the climb before I could find it.
Generally I find that thieves can't be bothered going hillwalking.
Adam_Gls 01 May 2012
Thanks for all replys its all been taken onboard, just still unsure how good quality the tents etc need to be for wild camping around sprinking tarn at this time of year im looking at a banshee or equivalent or will anything do at the moment?
 Darkskys 01 May 2012
In reply to Adam_Chester: Banshee will be fine mate, just check weather forecast for the 4 legged friends incase they're sleeping inside
Adam_Gls 03 May 2012
All set now just wondering if anyone knows a good scramble up scafell from wasdale? then down to sprinkling tarn, also any scrambles for the sunday morning maybe up great gable, thanks in advance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...