UKC

HELP: Pre-threaded SpeedAdjust buckle

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AmandaJury 01 May 2012
searched all over the place but im guessing not very well, I'm trying to find out what a 'Pre-threaded SpeedAdjust buckle' is, I'm doing an assignment on equipment and am looking at the Black Diamond Primrose SA Harness and on the waist belt it has a Pre-threaded SpeedAdjust buckle, is this a Zip-Lock or Thread Back, im so confused! Would be great if you could help! Thanks
 jkarran 01 May 2012
In reply to AmandaJury:

I use a BD Primrose. It's not the thread-back to secure type, it's the pull to tighten then forget (until it works loose!) type. Other manufacturers call them ziplock.

Google for pictures, you can see what type of buckle they use if you look closely

jk
OP AmandaJury 01 May 2012
In reply to jkarran: Thanks i tried using the pictures, i also have a primrose but i think i have the old version as mine are all thread backs but the SA didnt look like that but thankyou!
 jkarran 01 May 2012
In reply to AmandaJury:

Ah, the SA is indeed different but the buckles appear similar.
jk
 biscuit 01 May 2012
In reply to jkarran:

Did you know you are supposed to thread the ends through the elastics keeping the buckle and webbing in a straight line ?

If you're too large ( or your harness too small depending on your viewpoint ) and don't have enough slack to do that, or don't bother they are potentially dangerous.
In reply to biscuit: thanks im not actually looking to buy it but thanks i completely forgot to write that!!
 jkarran 01 May 2012
In reply to biscuit:

I didn't mean to imply they slip under load or anything like that, they don't, merely that they do occasionally need a little pull to keep them snug or at least my one does.

jk
 Calder 01 May 2012
In reply to jkarran:
> (In reply to biscuit)
>
> I didn't mean to imply they slip under load or anything like that, they don't, merely that they do occasionally need a little pull to keep them snug or at least my one does.
>
> jk

Especially under the weight of a Gogarth rack!
 tlm 01 May 2012
In reply to AmandaJury:
It is like a thread back buckle, but instead of there being a single buckle, there are two pieces to the buckle and the waist strap is prethreaded through the two pieces.
You can loosen the harness by pulling the belt at an angle, and can tighten it by pulling it in line with the buckle.
Probably best to go into a shop and look at a live one if you have never seen one before.
Like someone above said, in some circumstances, they can loosen. I have one myself, and have had no problems at all with it.
Advantages are, because they are already threaded, you don't need to thread them and therefore, you can't accidentally forget to rethread them as it is already done for you. Also, no problems when they get older of trying to rethread a furry old belt!
 biscuit 01 May 2012
In reply to jkarran

That was my point. I was told this last week by someone very reliable who was told by a manufacturer that they can slip under load if not correctly fastened i.e. the end of the webbing that passes through the buckle must be passed through one of the elastics provided to ensure they stay in line with each other and stay locked.

A bit like the gri gri of the harness world. They are not as hands free as you may think.
In reply to JLS: Thanks! that like is really helpfull, i can actually see what it propperly looks like!
 jkarran 01 May 2012
In reply to biscuit:

I can't see how that (slipping under load because of a free tail) could happen to be honest. Ok, if the tail gets pulled way from the buckle tilting/opening it slightly while the buckle/belt is under load then yeah, I can see it could slip and an unsecured tail is more likely to get pulled away than one that's clipped/tucked away neatly. I guess that's maybe what was meant?

Anyway, all I meant to say was that I find mine do creep a bit over time even when secured properly. It's not alarming or dangerous, just something that occasionally needs a little attention. It's not a problem, I'm quite happy with it, it's comfy, fits and works fine
 biscuit 01 May 2012
In reply to jkarran:

I am more than happy with my petzl one with the same style buckle as well.I know that's not what you meant and i am not trying to be alarmist or hi-jack the thread. It was just a new bit of info i picked up last week that surprised me.

It was about them being kept in line with the buckle so yes i think it's the movement away from the buckle that can be a problem. It just came up whilst discussing a client who was a bit of a squeeze in a large harness. I presumed no/not much tail was needed with this style of harness - i was wrong.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...