Off Belay forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Email disclaimers, are they legally binding?

Phil Payne - on 02 May 2012
I'm in a bit of a tricky situation at work and need some advice about sending an email to someone that I don't want the recipient to be able to forward or copy to anyone else.

I'm a contractor and I want to let someone at the agency know about some of the stuff happening (seriously dangerous and possibly illegal) at the site where I currently work, but if the agency staff were to forward it on to my boss (also a contractor, but he's the local liaison person for the agency as well)it would probably lead to my early termination.

As I've already told them that I'm leaving in 3 weeks, I'm no longer that bothered about rocking the boat, but I would like to finish the next 3 weeks as I could do with the money.

If I put a disclaimer at the bottom of the email, like the sort you get when you send emails in work, stating that this email is private and confidential and intended solely for the recipient, is this legally binding in any way?

I want to know is, that if I put a disclaimer on my email and then subsequently have my contract terminated as a result of the message being forwarded on, do I have any legal comeback? Obviously it doesn't stop them just talking about my email, but I don't suppose there's anything I can do about that is there?

Cheers,

Phil
... not showing 16 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums