UKC

'Rupert Murdoch is not fit...'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Exile Ward 02 May 2012
'...to run a major international company' If only it came from a more reputable bunch than a load of MPs, it might mean something. Like from a bunch of lawyers - or journos - bankers - or estate agents...
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:
'Rupert Murdoch is not fit...' but his wife is
Removed User 03 May 2012

....to shovel shit from one place to another"
 butteredfrog 03 May 2012

My thoughts exactly!
 Morgan Woods 03 May 2012

Anyone care to update me what laws were actually broken in this whole saga. As far as I'm aware some people (mostly celebs who might appreciate a bit of media exposure anyway) had their voicemails listened to by journalists. Doesn't really fit my idea of "hacking", and although I understand "intercepting communications" is a crime, i'm not sure anyone has been charged.
 Morgan Woods 03 May 2012
In reply to Morgan Woods:

Also curious if it's still possible to access other people's voicemails? Has security been strengthened by the telco's or does it still rely on the individual having to put a PIN on their account for access?
Removed User 03 May 2012

Really? So the idea that the head of one of the largest media companies in the world condones the use of phone tapping as a method for creating news doesn't bother you?

KevinD 03 May 2012
> Doesn't really fit my idea of "hacking",

and? very little of what is termed hacking is actually hacking (eg DDOS) and thats even if you use hacking in its more popular meaning, as opposed to cracking.

> and although I understand "intercepting communications" is a crime, i'm not sure anyone has been charged.

aside from Clive Goodman and Glenn Mulcaire you mean? who have both been to jail for just that.
 halo 03 May 2012
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed UserMorgan Woods)
>
> Really? So the idea that the head of one of the largest media companies in the world condones the use of phone tapping as a method for creating news doesn't bother you?

My thoughts exactly am sure if my wife and I had lost a daughter to a murdering pedophile, and we found out it due to some *^?king nosey Australian only interested in money, I would question is this man fit enough to run a corporate giant the answer is irreverently no.

How can a man who himself is an actual parent, grandfather be of sound mind? He cannot not from a parentel perspective. He should serve time for wasting police time.
 Morgan Woods 03 May 2012
In reply to halo:
> (In reply to Minneconjou Sioux)
> [...]
>
> My thoughts exactly am sure if my wife and I had lost a daughter to a murdering pedophile, and we found out it due to some *^?king nosey Australian only interested in money, I would question is this man fit enough to run a corporate giant the answer is irreverently no.

not sure if it's a typo but you seem to be saying Rupert Murdoch had a hand in murdering Milly Dowler?
 Yanis Nayu 03 May 2012
> (In reply to halo)
> [...]
>
>
> not sure if it's a typo but you seem to be saying Rupert Murdoch had a hand in murdering Milly Dowler?

That would be a good plot for a novel.
 Morgan Woods 03 May 2012
In reply to halo:
> (In reply to Minneconjou Sioux)
He should serve time for wasting police time.

I think the police knew early on that news ltd journos were accessing her voicemail, in fact they invited some of them to their briefings. I don't think this had any material impact on the case.
In reply to dissonance:

>aside from Clive Goodman and Glenn Mulcaire you mean? who have both been to jail for just that.

Yeah, but they were just a couple of rogue repor-...oh, hang on.

jcm
 Dominion 03 May 2012

> Anyone care to update me what laws were actually broken in this whole saga.

Making illegal payments to serving Police Officers and Civil Servants is one of the most serious, I would imagine...

> As far as I'm aware some people (mostly celebs who might appreciate a bit of media exposure anyway) had their voicemails listened to by journalists.

And some serving politicians, including the Deputy Prime Minister (at the time), possibly David Blunkett (who was Home Secretary at the time).

And then there were the people who were victims of crimes, the family of people who were victims of crimes, the families of people who were victims of the London Underground Bombing.

It is NOT just some celebrities, it is far, far more serious than that. It has been trivialised as being mostly about celebs, because the papers involved have a vested interest in it being seen as about "celebs who deserve it anyway" because they were all doing it, and want people not to care about it.

> Doesn't really fit my idea of "hacking", and although I understand "intercepting communications" is a crime, i'm not sure anyone has been charged.

There are also some instances of computer hacking, which is also a crime.

And people have been arrested, under Operation Weeting, and Elveden, and Tulisa

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Weeting

for a summary of what those are about.

Yep, no one has been put in gaol yet, but that is, I believe, because they are waiting for the Leveson Inquiry to report, first.
 EeeByGum 03 May 2012
In reply to Removed User:

> Really? So the idea that the head of one of the largest media companies in the world condones the use of phone tapping as a method for creating news doesn't bother you?

Not really. This is all a storm in a media tea cup. Everyone who is anyone knows that media moguls each have several governments and many politicians licking their arse. They are as bent as the politicians that serve them. The only thing that is different in this case is that enough circumstantial evidence has come to light to give politicians and other media organisations enough confidence to whip him. The rights and wrongs of it all are neither here nor there and nothing will change once this has all died down.
 Morgan Woods 03 May 2012
In reply to dissonance:
> (In reply to Morgan Woods)
> [...]

> aside from Clive Goodman and Glenn Mulcaire you mean? who have both been to jail for just that.

Yes you are correct. However I think they were only convicted in relation to the Clarence House voicemails. If there were hundreds of "victims" as has been alleged I would have thought there would be hundreds of charges. I wouldn't have thought any settlement made by News Limited could preclude them being charged.
fijibaby 03 May 2012
In reply to EeeByGum: Yay for the status quo.
Honestly makes me wonder "what is the point?"
 Morgan Woods 03 May 2012
In reply to Dominion:

> See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Weeting
>
> for a summary of what those are about.
>
> Yep, no one has been put in gaol yet, but that is, I believe, because they are waiting for the Leveson Inquiry to report, first.

Thanks for that, it has much better detail about the nature of the charges than other sources I had seen.
 Morgan Woods 03 May 2012
In reply to fijibaby:

> "what is the point?"

If you're worried about you voicemails, put a PIN on your account. (or as asked above is this no longer necessary?)
 tony 03 May 2012

See also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Elveden

This is the related operation into illegal payments to police officers and other public servants. Arrests made under this operation include a number of journalists working at the Sun, including the deputy editor, chief reporter, chief foreign correspondent, royal editor and deputy news editor John Sturgis. Other arrests include police officers and a member of the armed forces. The Sun staff members were initially suspended from work until Rupert Murdoch visited Wapping and invited them back to work.
KevinD 03 May 2012

> If you're worried about you voicemails, put a PIN on your account. (or as asked above is this no longer necessary?)

there are some claims that despite having PIN on their accounts some people still got their voicemails accessed.
Certainly is believable as I would be amazed if the phone companies had managed to beat the social engineering problem since no else has.
 tony 03 May 2012
In reply to dissonance:
>
> [...]
>
> there are some claims that despite having PIN on their accounts some people still got their voicemails accessed.

It is also the case that one Times journalist hacked emails, which would take a bit more than using a default PIN on a phone.
 Dominion 03 May 2012

> Thanks for that, it has much better detail about the nature of the charges than other sources I had seen.

Part of the problem has been that the newspapers, even where they are reporting wrongdoings that are raised at the Leveson Inquiry, they are very selective about what they report, and tend to anonymise what they write.

Private Eye - of course - now occasionally has a page dedicated to how the papers report Leveson, and their omissions.

For example, when Anne Diamond gave evidence about the appalling harassment she was subjected to by the papers after the cot death of her child, The Sun reported that she was harassed by journalists at the funeral, but not that it was a Sun journalist...

halo 03 May 2012
In reply to Submit to Gravity: Yeah maybe Trinity Mirror could publish...
 halo 03 May 2012
In reply to Morgan Woods: Hmmm I wonder how you came to that conclusion, still it was early in the morning.

Never mind...
 halo 03 May 2012
In reply to Dominion: Unfortunately that inquiry is being sullied by the politicians.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-17827228 It stinks to high heaven, money exchanging hands between those who operate within the law and those who seek to exploit it.
 halo 03 May 2012
In reply to Morgan Woods: It certainly has impact on the Leveson Inquiry though, not the murder investigation of Milly Dowler.
 tony 04 May 2012
In reply to halo:
> (In reply to Dominion) Unfortunately that inquiry is being sullied by the politicians.
>
> http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-17827228 It stinks to high heaven, money exchanging hands between those who operate within the law and those who seek to exploit it.

I'm not sure why you say the enquiry has been sullied by politicians. The enquiry is into press ethics, and the relationships between press and politicians is a part of that. I'd be complaining if that relationship was not put under scrutiny.
 Dominion 04 May 2012
In reply to tony:

Exactly, Leveson does seem to be getting people to expose the sort of crap that has gone on with politicians cosying up to Murdoch.

I did make a comment in another thread that Murdoch had become so toxic that no one in their right mind would want to associate themselves with him, after pointing out that Alex Salmond was getting tweeted about favourably by Murdoch, who was - by that time - starting to spit out bile against Cameron and the "posh boys".

Leveson himself seems to be quite immune to political pressure, as we saw over the refusal to bring forward Jeremy Hunt's evidence about his side of the BSkyB "scandal".

||-)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...