Running forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Pre-marathon training training

James1982 - on 03 May 2012
So I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a golden bond place in next year's London marathon. I've done a couple of half marathons (PB 1:49), am currently running around 20 miles per week for personal enjoyment (London road running) and have a 5k PB at around 22 minutes and 10k PB around 46 minutes.

I've entered a half marathon in October to keep me motivated but what I'm really keen to understand is what I can do NOW to start preparing my body for when I start increasing the weekly mileage in the run up to the marathon itself (planning to do a classic 16 week program from the start of January).

Currently I run most days and do 90 minutes of Ashtanga yoga a week but I sometimes find when I start increasing mileage my knees start hurting (have previously had knee injuries caused by running). I'd like to make my body and my knees in particular more robust which I guess means working on leg strength in particular but also overall body/core strength as well.

Has anyone got any suggestions for general ideas on the sort of exercise I should be doing? For example should I introduce more hill work or should I be spending a couple of days a week in the gym doing squats, resistance work, etc? I basically want to be in a position come January that my body is prepared to start a program that will eventually require me to do around 40-50 miles per week with a low risk of injury.

Lastly - my target for the marathon is sub 4 hours.

All advice appreciated.
... not showing 9 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums