UKC

Mountaineering trousers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AdCo82 04 May 2012
I am after a reasonably priced pair of mountain trousers with the following spec:

Reinforced knee patches
Warm for if standing around in the cold for long periods
Quick drying
Shower proof

AT
 Robert Durran 04 May 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:
> I am after a reasonably priced pair of mountain trousers with the following spec:
>
> Reinforced knee patches
> Warm for if standing around in the cold for long periods
> Quick drying
> Shower proof

Powerstretch (sew on your own knee patches!)
OP AdCo82 04 May 2012
In reply to Robert Durran:

Rather not have to start altering any I get.....there must be some that meet my requirements??
 colina 04 May 2012
In reply to An Triubhas: the perfect trouser does not exist.
 Fredt 04 May 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

Why do you need reinforced knee patches?
 iksander 04 May 2012
In reply to An Triubhas: What do you mean by "reasonably priced"?

I'd recommend ME Liskam trousers, £120
 Rhys Jones 04 May 2012
In reply to An Triubhas: Haglofs Col Pant. Softshell, tough enough to not need knee patches, showerproof, warm. Quick(ish) drying. And there on sale all over the place ATM. http://www.snowandrock.com/pws/UniqueProductKey.ice?ProductID=HAG0036KK
 gear boy 04 May 2012
In reply to An Triubhas: with you required spec the question would be how warm? reinforced knees are not necessary if whole trouser is tough enough
Powerstretch I dont find quick drying

most good trousers have some water resistance, you have to maintain this though normally (nikwax them)

Montane terra pants are always popular but not what I would call warm, their alpine pant is a bit heavier, I like these

ME Ibex pant

up in price is Mammut base jump,

plenty out there around the 70 to 80 quid mark
 lithos 04 May 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

I have a pair of REI trs which meet your requirements and are great but of course - 1 cant remember what they were called and its in the USA !

Maybe some form of the pattagucci guide or a pair of ME trs i saw lots of PYB
people wearing (they are sponsored)
 Jamie Hageman 04 May 2012
In reply to An Triubhas: Decathlon (Simond or Quechua) Mountaineering Trousers - £40, very tough softshell fabric (no membrane) reinforced ankles, internal gaiter with boot hook, side vents, full stretch, about 800g (nice and heavy means tough and well made for winter). Unbeatable for £40. They are better than my Patagonia Guide, Superguide, Haglofs Shark, Millet Softshell, and Mammut Basejump pants put together!
 nickcj 07 May 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

Mammut trousers are definitely worth the investment. Mine are still going strong after ten years.

Decathlon/Quechua are definitely worth a look as they are very good value for money and friends who have them think they are ace.
 Solaris 07 May 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

Schoeller type fabric is excellent but you don't need to get that particular brand - Marmot, Rab and so on have their own versions that work pretty well. Bargains can be found in end of season sales (sorry!).
 ben b 08 May 2012
In reply to An Triubhas: Stop using your knees. Very bad form!

Schoeller type material should fit the bill, with a pair of merino LJs underneath for winter. I have two pairs, some Mello's circa 2000 and some from the mountain equipment co-op in Toronto circa 2008, both still going strong.

HTH

b
nikkormat 08 May 2012
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

As wee jamie says, Decathlon mountaineering trousers (branded either Quechua or Simond) at £39.99 are great. I also like their Forclaz 900 Warm trousers: softshell fabric without the inbuilt gaiters, and with belt loops rather than braces. For anything in warmer weather/3 season, I've found Montane Terras to be excellent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...