UKC

length of walking ice axe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ford23 06 May 2012
hi,
im going on a begginers alipine coarse this summer and am buying a walking ice axe for it. im not sure however what length is best. ive been to a shop to try them out but not sure what lenghts are suited for what activities. im just shy of 6 foot and am trying to choose betwen a 50 and 60 cm walking axe. is longer or shorter genrally more suited to alipine stuff?
thanks
 wilkie14c 06 May 2012
In reply to sethmford:
with your boots on and you arms down your sides, you should be abole to hold the head of the axe in either hand and the tip of the spike should be about an inch of the ground. This'll stop it dragging when walking on the flat. I'm sure there is a more technical explaination out there but that is basically it
 kwoods 06 May 2012
In reply to sethmford: Agree with blanchie here. My axe is a wee bit too small for me at 50cm long. I'm 5' 8". When I'm on angled snow with an axe in the uphill hand, I find that I stoop toward the axe to get support. This is the way in which I use my axe most and I'm imagining you'd be doing similar?
 Null 07 May 2012
In reply to sethmford:
The answer is of course, "not too long and not too short".

Too long and it becomes a pain to use when you really to use it to actually climb, over an ice bulge, crevasse, etc. Too long also becomes bad for ice axe braking. (Long is also heavy)

Too short and it is useless as a walking stick, and again too short is bad for ice axe braking.

I always found from 50 to 55 cm ideal and I'm about your height. I have an old Charlet Moser that I think is actually 53 cm and the perfect length for me. Held in the braking position it ends at exactly the right position for the left hand at the side of your body (with the ferule not under your chest and not poking out too far beyond your chest). Your mileage may differ.

The other question you might be asking is whether to buy a total bumbly walking axe, or something with a more technical pick. While a bumbly axe is cheap it also rapidly becomes useless if you decide to do slighly more technical routes (not icefalls, obviously). So I would say buy something that you can actually climb with (like Scottish grade II and III). That way you have a tool that you can use for the rest of your climbing career (because everbody enjoys occasional easy snow and ice routes even if they become superheroes).
 MG 07 May 2012
In reply to sethmford:
im just shy of 6 foot and am trying to choose betwen a 50 and 60 cm walking axe.

Regardless of length, consider a more "alpine" axe than a walking one. They are bit more robust and have better picks, which is helpful if you get to steep steps. Something like these

http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Winter-Climbing-Equipment/Ice-Axes/Al...

rather than these

http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Winter-Climbing-Equipment/Ice-Axes/Wa...
 Simon4 07 May 2012
In reply to sethmford: Sensible comments on axe length, prob 55 cm is best, but have you considered how useful it is to have a pair of (probably adjustable) ski poles?

These are incredibly handy pushing you up on things like hut-approaches, long snow slopes etc. With a bit more confidence, you may find that you are prepared to go up steeper snow with crampons and poles alone, as it makes you more balanced than having an axe in one hand and nothing in the other. (If it gets too steep, you will obviously need your axe out).
Juki 07 May 2012
In reply to sethmford:
My opinion is quite different from others but here we go. I would buy a simple and cheap _walking_ axe. 70cm would be my choice. I'm 5´11 and my walking axe is 70cm. It's a good length for easy snow plods because it gives you lots of support when you are walking up the fairly easy snow slopes.

The pick profile of a walking axe makes the self arrest lot easier compared to the more aggressive profiles of technical axes.

When the day comes that you want to do something more demanding you can simply leave the cheap walking axe to your closet and buy a _pair_ of more technical axes. Like these:
http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Winter-Climbing-Equipment/Ice-Axes/Le...

I have a similar pair (old Charlet Moser Axars) for general alpine stuff. It's a very good combination to have walking poles, a simple walking axe and a pair of technical tools. Compromises do get very expensive. Always. Start with a cheap axe that's long enough!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...