UKC

lightweight waterproof trousers for tall slim men - help!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tall Clare 07 May 2012
Hello all,

This is another request for Mr TC rather than for me...

He's struggling to find lightweight waterproof trousers that are a) long enough, and b) cut for skinny folk.

He needs 34" leg and 32" waist, but it seems most trousers are 32" waist and if they're longer in the leg then they're also bigger in the waist.

He's looked at Montane, Haglofs and a few other makes so far, with no luck. He has a Montane Atomic jacket (the new sort) but apparently the Atomic trousers are the old version (?), which is much heavier material. Or something like that.

He's mailed Montane to see if they do custom orders, and is waiting to hear back from them.

Anyway - I said I'd ask on here... Anyone got any suggestions?
 GarethSL 07 May 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: You can Contact The Outdoor Gear Shop at Homebarn.

http://www.theoutdoorgearshop.co.uk/acatalog/Searchbymanufacturer_Info.html

They will specially order anything if their supplier has access to it. Consider the Arc'teryx Alpha SL pant in medium tall sounds right up your Misters street, tad expensive mind.
 The Lemming 07 May 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

The answer is quite simple.

To get access to a broader selection of kit all he need do is eat pies, lots of pies.
OP Tall Clare 07 May 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

He does - he just doesn't put on weight. Yes, I know...
In reply to GrendeI:

Oh blimey, they're expensive! I think he's hoping for under £100.

Thanks for the suggestions
mark js 07 May 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

I'm a 30 inch waist and 34-5 inch leg and have had a similar problem. The only pants I've found to fit appropriately are Arc'teryx small/tall - Beta ARs for winter and Alpha SLs for lightweight use.

Not cheap, mind.
 birdie num num 07 May 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
Ive got a spare pair that fits a short fat person which you could get altered.
In reply to birdie num num:

That's very thoughtful of you. Thank you.
He's found these: http://uk.thenorthface.com/tnf-uk-en/men-s/shop-by-category/trousers-pants/...

They sound pretty spot on - anyone got any good/bad experience of them?
 Richard Carter 07 May 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

I struggle with being slim and tall (30" waist, 34" leg). Have a look at Mammut that's where I get my stuff. The only thing is that the size chart on their website isn't so good. I get size '90' which is supposed to be 28" waist but is more like 30".
ha try 30" /34 combo
try inov8 MISTLITE 130 or omm trousers

In reply to mountainpenguin:

He said he hadn't found anything useful on the OMM site but I'll get him to have another look at that and inov8. Thanks!
In reply to Richard Carter:

Thanks - I don't think he'd looked at Mammut yet.
 bouldery bits 07 May 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Another shout for the OMM option.
In reply to bouldery bits:

Inov8 seem to be 32" leg, as do Mammut packaway pants... according to their websites.
 The New NickB 07 May 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

I have got some of the Innov8 mistlite 130, I have just got them out and had a look at the legs, they are longer than a standard 32' so might be worth trying.

They are VERY lightweight, designed for fell running, very basic, but on the plus side only £30.
In reply to Tall Clare:

Heat Shrink should do the job:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat-shrink_tubing
 Damo 07 May 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

I'm 35" waist x 36" leg and I think you might struggle to find a genuine 32x34 in good shell trousers.

I got a pair of Crux Flak eVent trousers that are about 35x33.5, so too short for me. Yours for 100 quid if you want them. Brand new with tags on, one prong on waist buckle broken off (over vigorous unwrapping?)
 BGG 07 May 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: try on Rab. They are very long for the measurements.
 Rubbishy 07 May 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Lowe troosers are long even in standard form.

try mine - they are too long for me and in good nick......
 Timmd 09 May 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

That's my trouser size and Quechua trousers for 40 pounds fit me, guess with trainers there might be a gap where my socks would get wet, i've not noticed/can't remember checking, but with boots on they're fine, and with gaiters on they're more fine.

Only trouble with them is they're not so breathable, and the zips can be a tad iffy. I cut the mesh lining out of mine to make them lighter and to stop my boots catching as much, which might have something to do with the dampness which I feel. Under really hard exertion they don't breath well at all though, when i've been tree clearing when it's been raining and the air's felt damp and there's been mist in the air, my trousers underneath have wetted out rather.

Have sewn together the top of one two way zip which used to open all the way up, and it's fine to use with a large gap for my boot, I guess you could nip the iffy zips in the bud and sew them together at the top so they're like those on most waterproof trousers.

There are better trousers out there, but I think they'd be fairly okay for anything that's not involving exerting as much effort as possible or making a lot of sweat.

Tim
OP Tall Clare 09 May 2012

Thanks everyone. He ended up calling in to Complete Runner in Ilkley and came out with some Inov8 ones that he's pretty pleased with - and for the princely sum of £30.
OP Tall Clare 09 May 2012
In reply to Timmd:

Thanks - it's for an offroad Ironman thing, so I think he'll be sweating like the proverbial glassblower's bottom... lovely...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...