Expedition & Alpine forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - First Time Alpine Climbing Questions

Sutty22 - on 08 May 2012
I'm hoping to head out to Arolla in late June for my 1st time Alpine Climbing and have a few questions.

1. Boots. I currently have some La Sportiva Trango S (nearly certain NOT the gtx model)and some Nepal Extremes. The Trangos are very light and extremely comfy and the Nepals are obviously heavier and not quite as comfy although much warmer. Which boots would people recommend taking or would you take both? I don't plan on going above 4000m although plans are pretty loose right now :-)

2. Alpine axe. I have new model Petzl Quarks which I use for scottish winter. I plan on doing mainly rocky ridges in the alps. Would I get away with using one of the Quarks for the approaches or would it be worth getting an alpine axe?

3. Maps. Do people mainly use 1:50,000 or 1:25,000 scale?

Hopefully some of you experienced guys can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Chris
... not showing 10 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums