UKC

exped down mat 9

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 buzby 10 May 2012
after looking at several reviews of mats ive nearly decided on the above mat, looking for something that will give me some real comfort in my old age and that i can use on expeditions abroad as well. it will also be used for 3 season camping in scotland.
just thought id ask on here before hitting the buy button to see if anyone has any issues with this mat.im happy with the extra weight and price but slightly dubious of the reviews about how long it takes to inflate and a little worried about the pump system it uses.
any info appreciated.
m0unt41n 10 May 2012
In reply to buzby: I have the Large Down mat 9 and it takes just under 3 minutes to inflate. Its a bit odd in that it seems to take an age to start with and then inflates really quickly towards the end, this could be the pump system that its volume increases from a minimum to start with. I use mine on treks on glaciers and at base camps and its brilliant. Warm and very comfortable. If I bought it again I would get the 7 since I dont think the extra thickness will be that noticable. I have had no problems with leaks, it seems pretty tough. I couldnt go back to a Thermarest now.
MercuryKev 10 May 2012
In reply to buzby:

I've got a Downmat 7 DLX and it takes just over 2 minutes to inflate (I've timed it). It is the most comfortable mat I've slept on and is so insulating that I'm able to use my bag as a quite, even in winter. I love it.
Gentleman 10 May 2012
In reply to buzby:
I have down mat 9 - few years old ... Filling with bag is bit flimsy in practice, that's my opinion. The bag pops out of the valve too easily (or I am just bit too clumsy).
almost sane 10 May 2012
In reply to buzby:
Another very happy Downmat 7 owner.
The best bit of kit I have bought in a number of years. I do a lot of camping, often where the ground is very bumpy, and those of us with downmats have been the only people getting good nights' sleep.

It is the warmest and most comfy thing I have slept on in a tent.

If I was to buy again, I might go for the Downmat 9 for even more warmth and comfort.

OP buzby 10 May 2012
In reply to Gentleman: cheers, the newer version seems to have an integrated pump rather than a seperate bag, looks a better system but what happens if it buggers up on a long expedition as you cant blow into it to fill it with air.
almost sane 11 May 2012
In reply to buzby:

With any of these air-bed style mats, if it fails and can't be repaired, you end up sleeping on a double layer of fabric with virtually no insulation or comfort.
So you take care of it, for example by never lying on the mat n the bare ground out of puncture paranoia.

I have used my Downmat for 3 four week expeditions and about 20 one or two day trips, and never had a problem.
 Kid Spatula 11 May 2012
In reply to buzby:

I have the synthetic version, and it's awesome.
m0unt41n 11 May 2012
In reply to almost sane:
> (In reply to buzby)
> Another very happy Downmat 7 owner.
> If I was to buy again, I might go for the Downmat 9 for even more warmth and comfort.

I was hoping there would not be that much difference - will have to try out a 7 at some stage.

I've never had a problem with the valve popping out, although i do take a fair bit of care when sealing it. I also worried about what would happen if inflating pump stopped working, but I guess its the same with a ThermaRest if the valve leaked and you could seal it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...