UKC

Summer Alpine Boot Recommendations?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jonnie3430 14 May 2012
I'm trying to find an alternative to my Nepal Extremes for this summers alpine games. I'd like:

No insulation.
Great for climbing on rock.
Lightweight.
Good for ice and steep snow with crampons (though would sacrifice this.)

I have looked at the Scarpa Charmoz and the La Sportiva Trango S Evo; they both seem OK, though I'd rather leather and no fabric/goretex uppers as I think I'd wear them out quickly (nepal top is heavy.) I'd mainly use them for getting too and from long rock routes when crampons have to be worn.

What do people recommend?
In reply to jonnie3430: Jonnie

The selection within the UK for a lightweight alpine boot is limited. Have a look at the selection in this shop:

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/en/all/c-footwear/footwearcategory-mountai...

I recently bought a pair of Scarpa Triolets from them, they arrived in 5 days, and with the euro conversion rate, are dead cheap - I got a higher spec boot than the Charmoz for the same price as the Charmoz with AMA discount from Cotswold. The Scarpa Rebels look good.

It seems a bit odd ordering by post from the Continent, but it is not expensive.
OP jonnie3430 14 May 2012
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

Cheers Nick!

Does anyone know where I can find the Garmont Vetta Plus MNT GTX in the UK, preferably near Glasgow?
In reply to jonnie3430: I doubt you'll find them in the UK, let alone near Glasgow! I see where you are coming from though - I was concerned about sizing and fit for a postal order from overseas- but tried on endless Scarpa boots in shops to be sure of the fit. You may not find the Vetta Plus anywhere but I'd imagine you could find other Garmont boots to try on to get a good feel for how Garmont fit your feet. It might even be worth researching which last they use and find another Garmont boot with the same last to try on for size. But to be honest, I'm sure that if you can correctly size any Garmont mountain boot to fit you, the same size in Vetta Plus would be fine.

altirando 14 May 2012
In reply to jonnie3430: If you are 44.5 I will sell you a pair of Trango Evos for half price, used once. Just a fraction too small. Should have bought them here and worn them round the house first!
 butteredfrog 14 May 2012
In reply to jonnie3430:

Asolo Alpinists, great boot, really comfy(if it fits your foot shape), well made, lightweight, good climbing platform and some good deals out at the moment.
OP jonnie3430 15 May 2012
In reply to altirando:

Sorry, am 43, but thanks for the offer!
 Totally-Normal 15 May 2012
In reply to jonnie3430: Not lightweight but I love my Scarpa Mantas- no goretex as well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...