UKC

Lidl rant

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tim Chappell 14 May 2012
I'm all for overcoming the Tesco quasi-monopoly. So I do my bit by going to Lidl now and then.

Every time I go the stock on display is entertainingly eccentric, which is fine ("Is it just the two hundredweight of walnuts, the Croatian riding jodhpurs, and the 24 strange-brand Austrian yoghurt and nougat snack bars for you today then sir?").

And the whole place is completely empty, which is also fine; I like a bit of peace to think and take my time while picking out my Croatian riding jodhpurs.

But here's the thing: no one will ever serve you. People will bark at you for waiting at the wrong till, and make notes about you on their clipboards, and ask you to get out of their way so they can sweep the floors, but will they serve you? They will not.

What is it with them? Don't they like customers?

Back to Tesco's next time, I'm afraid. Even though they don't do jodhpurs, not even Croatian ones.

the abmmc 14 May 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell:

Thanks Tim, that made me laugh. Tom
 woolsack 14 May 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell: I find the whole LIDL experience strangely therapeutic. I guess they are simply trying the restaurant trick to make the place look full?
 MG 14 May 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell: Have you tried barking back? Apparently it works with the Duke of Edinburgh.
Tim Chappell 14 May 2012
In reply to the abmmc:

Perhaps they thought I'd just wait tamely at the checkout until it suited them to serve me. But they picked the wrong man to mess with! I left my groceries on the conveyor belt and walked out!

Am I tough or what?
Tim Chappell 14 May 2012

PS Can anyone lend me a few walnuts?
 deepstar 14 May 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell:And if you manage to find the ski jacket and then decide not to buy it because you look like an extra for "Blakes 7" in it try and get out of Lidls without buying anything. Our local one is like a maze and the bars by the tills are always shut and you need to be Geoff Capes to open them.
 AdCo82 14 May 2012

they must know you are a Man United fan
> (In reply to Tim Chappell)
>
>
> PS Can anyone lend me a few walnuts?

DMM ones?
 Postmanpat 14 May 2012
> I'm all for overcoming the Tesco quasi-monopoly. So I do my bit by going to Lidl now and then.

>
> But here's the thing: no one will ever serve you. People will bark at you for waiting at the wrong till, and make notes about you on their clipboards, and ask you to get out of their way so they can sweep the floors, but will they serve you? They will not.
>
> What is it with them? Don't they like customers?
>
They are German.
Tim Chappell 14 May 2012
In reply to higherclimbingwales:
> [...]
>
> DMM ones?

Lidl probably do sell them, but I find them a bit crunchy.
Tim Chappell 14 May 2012
(Careful now. That was almost climbing-related.)
 Dauphin 14 May 2012

Minimum wage doesn't often attract the kind of people who sommelier at the Hempel.

D
Tim Chappell 14 May 2012
In reply to Dauphin:

Lochee folk have no idea that sommelier is a verb, or that Hempel is a noun. Come to that, nor did I till just now.

Still can't find any walnuts in the house. Hang on a tick, I'm just nipping out to the shops
 Sharp 14 May 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell: Part of the beauty of Lidl's is, as you say, how quiet and peaceful it is. You can walk around Lidl's and you know that no ones going to bother you and you can just chill out and get on with fondling the aubergines (to see which is the best specimin obviously).

Imagine scores of Tesco's employees running around, looking happy and talking to each other, always there to help while the latest chart toppers blast out of tinny speakers and you try to keep your cool as the woman in front blocks your trolly. The irony is, just being in Tesco's makes you rush around, even if you aren't in a hurry.

Lidl's is different. To enjoy the tranquility you have to take a hit with the amount of employees there are but that's ok, because deep down you know you belong there. No ones going to bother you and you don't have to bother anyone else. Go in, have a mooch about, enjoy.

Ben
Tim Chappell 14 May 2012
In reply to Sharp:

So what you're saying is: whereas Tesco's is like Piccadilly, Lidl is the retailing equivalent of the Empty Quarter?

Sounds about right to me.
 Bulls Crack 14 May 2012
In reply to Sharp:

I can't say that Lidl and 'enjoy' appear together in my consciousness. A depressing place satisfying the British urge for cheap and often low standard food. True, it has some good things, but I'd rather spend more of my income on good food than tolerate cheap n nasty stuff.
 woolsack 14 May 2012
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> (In reply to Ben Sharp)
>
> I can't say that Lidl and 'enjoy' appear together in my consciousness. A depressing place satisfying the British urge for cheap and often low standard food. True, it has some good things, but I'd rather spend more of my income on good food than tolerate cheap n nasty stuff.

I must be buying different stuff, sure the packaging is unfamiliar but I wouldn't say it is substandard
Tim Chappell 14 May 2012
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Face it, though, they do have curvaceous aubergines. In between the 1000-packs of Estonian chewing gum and the fun-size sacks of nutty slack.
 Sharp 14 May 2012
In reply to Bulls Crack:
>
> I can't say that Lidl and 'enjoy' appear together in my consciousness. A depressing place satisfying the British urge for cheap and often low standard food. True, it has some good things, but I'd rather spend more of my income on good food than tolerate cheap n nasty stuff.

Either you're just unlucky to live near a rubbish Lidl's or you've made your mind up before going in. The range, quality, freshness and price of the veg in the one near me is superb. Can you really tell the difference between Lidl's extra virgin olive oil and the stuff that costs twice as much in tesco? What about the bread flour - not high enough quality? Jars of olives, muesli - have you tried any of this stuff or have you just picked up a few packets of ukranian biscuits and a dodgy looking german "sausage" and decided it's all rubbish? I'm not a big chocolate eater but I've had their copy's of mars bars, marathons and twix's and they're just as good as the tesco ones. It's not all food either; what about the toiletries, they taste great.

The British urge for cheapness isn't just isolated in Lidl, it's found in the rows of intesively farmed chickens, the tesco value meat and the disproportionate amount of non-fair trade bananas because 30p extra is too much to pay for someone to earn a decent wage.

Fair enough, the likes of Lidl and Aldi have there fair share of "cheap rubbish" as you put it but most of it is fine and you'll find much worse in tescos if you look for it.

Ben
 Milesy 14 May 2012
I am sure Lidl and Aldi pay more than Tesco. They did at one point. They dont have the same security to deal with shoplifters etc.
Tim Chappell 14 May 2012
In reply to Sharp:

What are you, the CEO of Lidl?

If so, I await my grovelling letter and offer of a free trolley-dash with interest
 Sharp 14 May 2012
>
> What are you, the CEO of Lidl?
>
> If so, I await my grovelling letter and offer of a free trolley-dash with interest

Afraid not, in all honesty I don't usually shop their. I just like a good argument, especially if it's about food/food shopping, I just can't keep away.

I do enjoy shopping there when I have time though, it's just a bit out of the way.

ben
Tim Chappell 14 May 2012
Actually Lidl isn't the weirdest supermarket I've ever been in. That Cash and Carry down the bottom end of Zermatt opposite the horrible campsite, the one that seems to sell nothing except 5-gallon drums of low-quality blackcurrant jam and bushels of stiff grey bread-- that's WAY the weirdest.

You know, the kind of ultra-cheap, barely edible blackcurrant jam and bread you get in Alpine huts.

Ahh...

<penny drops>
 AdCo82 14 May 2012

I may be able to match that in Turku, Finland.....breaded cheese balls and sunflower oil!!!!
 gethin_allen 14 May 2012
I did a similar thing in wilko, there was a queue of about 8 or 9 with some ancient old dear fumbling through her cooperate at the front and despite he fact that there were loads of people standing around idle they only had one till open. So when my question of "could you open another till?" Got a unintelligible groan I dropped my basket in the middle of the floor and walked out.
 Sharp 14 May 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell: Any supermarket that still uses bushels as a unit of measurement is ok by me.
 gethin_allen 14 May 2012
In reply to gethin_allen:
Read that as coppers not cooperate. Bloody Android spell checker thing grrrrrrr.
Tim Chappell 14 May 2012
In reply to gethin_allen:

>I dropped my basket in the middle of the floor and walked out.

Tell me, do you have difficulty getting hold of postage stamps?

Yep, me too :-0
 Duncan Bourne 14 May 2012
> Actually Lidl isn't the weirdest supermarket I've ever been in. That Cash and Carry down the bottom end of Zermatt opposite the horrible campsite, the one that seems to sell nothing except 5-gallon drums of low-quality blackcurrant jam and bushels of stiff grey bread-- that's WAY the weirdest.

The weirdest supermarket I have ever been in was in the Royston Vassey backwaters of Mow Cop. It sold nothing but stange almost ordinary products birthday candles, catfood, and jammy dodgers all obscure brands infact those were the only products the rest of the shelves were empty. Not only that but it was empty except for one check out person going back and forth in wheel chair. Bought Jammy dodgers (being the only humanly consumable product on offer) and walked out but glanced back at the door only to see the wheelchair bound till person get up out of his wheelchair and walk out of the back of the shop. Weird, probably beats the chest freezer and gunshop.

As for Lidl my stepfather in law swears by them to the point of religious fanaticism
fuddam 14 May 2012
Lidl is actually one of the better supermarket chains in Germany, so it's kinda funny to see some Germans bemused that Lidl is considered bottom-end here. Their food quality is generally pretty high, except the fruit and veg tend to spoil rather quickly compared to Aldi (and not because they are more 'natural' either).

Nowadays I would rather shop at Aldi than any of the big chains, for many reasons, not least of which is the super efficient, super speedy cashiers. If Tesco's etc employed such excellent staff (seriously), there wouldn't be the terrible queues we always see.

Down here in the south, I've not found Lidl or Aldi staff to ever be unpleasant/give me any uphill. Quite the opposite.

Jaffacake 14 May 2012

I quite like the lack of staff, same in Wilkos which someone else mentioned. I hate people asking me if I need any help while I'm happily wandering around in my own little world and seek out shops where this doesn't happen. Annoying when there's no-one on the till but this was never a problem at the Wilkos where I've lived before - actually it's one of my favourite shops, no staff except exactly where I want them!

It was Aldi where I used to live, but same thing really, I get that they don't expect you to spend time pack your bags at the end of the till, once they've scanned it gtf out of the way for the next person - if you need time to pack your bag properly then take your stuff to the shelf beyond the tills. I did dislike them glaring at me to get the hell out of the way of the end of the till while I'm moving as fast as I can with a cast on my arm.

And the lack of baskets, I dunno about Lidl but Aldi doesn't do baskets, it's a trolley or nothing, I don't like trolleys so I just don't buy more than I can carry (or if I've remembered to bring a bag then just fill it up as I go around the shop and empty it for the till and hope no-one thinks I'm stealing in the meantime).

Ranting feels good doesn't it.
 Heike 14 May 2012

Don't know where you live,maybe it's more affluent!!! Here in Stirling the Lidl is heaving! Good if you are on a budget...not renowned for the customer service, but at least you won't have to wait for ages at tills while the cashier chats about the weather....I love it and have so since I was a student in ....Germany! (Not as good as Norma., though! That's the best of cheapness!)

One more thing, though. It's much more expensive then in Germany. Brits must be mugs... (me included)
 henwardian 14 May 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell: Lidl employees have some pretty harsh job conditions, their rate at scanning items at the till is timed and if they fall below a certain rate they get fired. There are various other things that are pretty unreasonable too, I can't really remember them, a friend once worked for them but she only lasted a few weeks before she chucked it in.
walking_disaster 14 May 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell: I bought "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers The Movie" in Lidl the other day, for £2.99. Hadn't seen the film since 1995, when I was four.
 birdie num num 14 May 2012
Do folks know if Lidl is a good place to shoplift?
walking_disaster 14 May 2012
In reply to birdie num num:
> Do folks know if Lidl is a good place to shoplift?

Well, I'm always surprised when I meet somebody else in there, so possibly.

Ann S 15 May 2012
In reply to birdie num num:
> Do folks know if Lidl is a good place to shoplift?

You're not changing your loyalties are you Num Num; thought it was Tescos for you?

wilkie14c 15 May 2012
I love Lidi, where else can you buy a 90 piece drill bit set, a gel saddle cover and a family box of tampons all in the same asile?
I live in the UK spirtiual home of cheap shopping - Blackpool, the birthplace of B&M bargains and 3 poundshops at last count <poundland, poundzone and quidz-in> Lidl by comparison to the shopping mainstays here is like Waitrose, seriously. We seem to have more Farm Foods and Iceland stores here than anywhere. The Iceland in town is next door to a greengrocers and a butchers yet the great unwashed are beating down the doors at Iceland to stock up on their rustlers burgers and turkey swizzers, WTF is the matter with these people? Do they only give dole money out in Iceland vouchers these days? Its over the road from the methadone chemists too. Its like being in Tattooine on market day.
 ebygomm 15 May 2012
In reply to Jaffacake: the aldi by my work has just introduced baskets

my lunchtime shopping is no longer limited to what i can carry
 captainH 15 May 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell: I'm not a regular Lidl shopper so don't I know if they do this everywhere - Hayle Lidl, Cornwall went in the shop first thing in the morning as soon as it opened to get some food for lunch - go to pay -there is no one on the tills - no one shelf stacking or wandering around either - I eventually find someone just to be told there won't be anyone on the tills for another hour - WTF
 Al Evans 15 May 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:
> I love Lidi, where else can you buy a 90 piece drill bit set, a gel saddle cover and a family box of tampons all in the same asile?
> I live in the UK spirtiual home of cheap shopping - Blackpool, the birthplace of B&M bargains and 3 poundshops at last count <poundland, poundzone and quidz-in>

When I lived in Blackpool it was the 50p shop!
 girlymonkey 15 May 2012
In reply to Heike:
>
> but at least you won't have to wait for ages at tills while the cashier chats about the weather....I love it

there was one lady in the Stirling one for a while who did chat WAY too much, she was dead slow. I've not been there in the last 8 months as I've been out the country so maybe it's changed!

Lidl is fine if you are happy to just get something for dinner, but if you want something specific, I find I struggle to get everything I need for a meal!!

wilkie14c 15 May 2012
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to blanchie14c)
> [...]
>
> When I lived in Blackpool it was the 50p shop!

Get out of it Al, the shilling-shop you mean
 Bulls Crack 15 May 2012
In reply to Sharp:

Its not based on 1 visit - I was interested and went several times buying a range of things like oil, ham, etc and they just weren't as good as, admittedly more expensive brands, elsewhere. I agree about that the cheapness urge is on display in all supermarkets - it;s what they're about and whilst it may be a necessary saving for many its often a life-style choice for others and , as long as I can afford it, I'd rather spend more on good food than say Sky or wide screen Tv's for example.
 Neil Williams 15 May 2012

You know most of the Aldi/Lidl brands are made up, don't you? (Tesco have a few as well).

I bet that'd be a great job, inventing feasible-sounding brand names for Aldi!

Neil
 Neil Williams 15 May 2012
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Lidl in the UK tend to carry more German stuff you can't always get in the UK easily (not even in massive Tesco stores). Most of the Aldi stuff is Anglicised and from UK suppliers. So Lidl always seemed a bit more attractive to me.

Neil
 daveyji 15 May 2012
Waitrose every time...so much better than piddles and tesco
 thin bob 15 May 2012
The ones I've been in are good....but while the queues are frustrating, they go quick. Faster than when people are stood at the till packing.
The food compares well...Which rated their olive oil v highly.
The weird food is worth trying ..
 Green Porridge 15 May 2012

They're just giving you the full German customer service experience! You're not a customer, you're an inconvenience! I kind of forget it when I'm here, until I go back to the UK, and then I find everyone is so friendly in these stores!

Actually, that's not entirely true, I just had a half-hour hat with my local bike shop where the manager went through a load of catalogues with me, promised to call me after a rep comes in tomorrow, and gave me the few things I bought at the best part of 20% discount. There is good service here when you find it, but I find it to be very much the exception that proves the rule.

Tim
 Enty 15 May 2012

Saturday morning in Vaison they're selling 3m diameter trampolines for 148€ - I'll let you know how I get on.

E
Moley 15 May 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell: We are lidl devotees and have found their staff the most happy and smiling of any supermarket. Sure you have to pick and chose what you buy, and when you find something good - purchase 6 months supply, because you won't see it again till then! Favourites are that "compot" stuff, strawberry, apple, prune etc. brilliant on porridge every morning. Pate, saurkraut, baked beans, veg is excellent and cheap, even the booze is drinkable. All kinds of things + all the weird stuff.
Once you know the store it's great!
 wilkie14c 15 May 2012
In reply to Moley:
Ratmaninoff vodka, nice shaped bottle and 40%, 8.99 and quite drinkable as my many sunday morning hangovers testify. Mrs B had some trout from there the other week and said it was excellant
Tim Chappell 21 May 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:

Ooh. They've replied. In fairness to LIDL UK GmbH, I should publish their response:

From: Customerservices@lidl.co.uk [Customerservices@lidl.co.uk]
Sent: 21 May 2012 16:15
To:
Subject: LIDL-CUSSUG-120515-1019558-MOLA

Dear Dr Chappell

Re: Lidl Lochee

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback regarding our Lochee store.

We were disappointed to hear your comments regarding your recent visit to the Lochee store. It is certainly never our intention to have unhappy customers as we hold customer satisfaction paramount in all aspects of our company’s actions. We take great pride in maintaining a reputation for excellence and what our customers have to say about our products and service is of great importance to us.

We would like to thank you for alerting us to this matter, as without customer comments we are unable to maintain the high standard of service we aim for. Please be advised that your comments regarding the waiting times in the store will be brought to the attention of senior management.

We are sorry that your visit was an unpleasant experience for you and we would like to offer our apologies for any upset caused. We regularly monitor and retrain our staff in order to ensure that our customers receive the best service possible. Please be advised that the District Manager will implement additional training in this store in order to help prevent any such occurrences from happening again.

We trust that this letter has helped to restore your faith in us and that you will continue to be a valued Lidl customer.

Yours sincerely,
For and on behalf of Lidl UK GmbH

Leonie Faulds
Customer Services

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lidl UK GmbH
Registered Office: 19 Worple Road, London, SW19 4JS,
Registered in England No.FC017929;
tel: 0870 444 1234 web: www.lidl.co.uk
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> Confidentiality:
This email and its attachments are intended for the above named only and may be confidential. The information contained within this email should only be kept for as long as its originally intended purpose, after which all information within must be destroyed. If this email and its attachments have come to you in error you must take no action based on them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone. Please reply to this email and highlight the error.

>> Security Warning:
Please note that this email has been created in the knowledge that Internet email is not a 100% secure communications medium. We advise that you understand and observe this lack of security when emailing us.

>> Viruses:
Although we have taken steps to ensure that this email and its attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure that they are actually virus free.

The contents and views expressed in this email and its attachments are not necessarily those of the company's.

MG 21 May 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell: That's not far off "..will be sent to Siberia for re-education...".
Tim Chappell 21 May 2012
In reply to MG:

I know. I feel all guilty now.
 wilkie14c 21 May 2012
It does read like a standard copy/paste reply but you never know, next time you go there you could find a public flogging of the manager in the car park
 subalpine 21 May 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell: Tim 0 Lidl 1
 colina 21 May 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell: i try and shop at lidl quite alot what other shop can you go in for your small weekly shop and walk out with a pneumatic jack hammer complete with compressor and industrial hoses!.priceless! the thing that really p****s me off though is putting the stuff in the trolley ,taking it out again at the till ,putting it back in the trolley again and finally taking it out again to put it in the car .
Tim Chappell 21 May 2012
In reply to subalpine:

We'll see about that. I'm going to test them this evening. Of course, there might be no staff around because they're all in Siberia :-9
andyathome 21 May 2012
In reply to henwardian:
> (In reply to Tim Chappell) their rate at scanning items at the till is timed and if they fall below a certain rate they get fired.

You totally sure about that?
andyathome 21 May 2012
As far as I'm concerned Aldi and Lidl rock! Aldi just makes it in terms of quality though I have noticed that Lidl mushrooms are much better of late. I wouldn't shop anywhere else and when I'm abroad climbing I know where I head....

Its an east german / command economy sort of thing. Why should you have to pay extra for the privilege of wading though 10 types of baked beans or five brands of corn flakes? Do you NEED six brands of identical soap powder?

Own brand / high quality / low price does it for me.

Sorry it snot a funny post......
 BigHell 21 May 2012

Ha ! Lidl and Aldi.... One member of staff serving they wait till the queue gets really long then ask the customers to go and load another checkout,then and only then do they ring a bell for another member of staff to come and serve and as you waite for that member of staff to appear you have to stand there watching the other queue go through. AHrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !
 alan wilson 21 May 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell: Both Lidl and Aldi are great places to shop, much cheapness, good quality food for the most part (although the fresh veg is suspect on some days) plenty of unusual choices too. So long as you realise the check out will be a bit manic and don't even think about actually bagging your stuff at the same time ! I just fire it all into the trolley and bag at my leisure over by the window shelf. Definitely big savings over the main stores. The jockinese staff are pretty friendly too.
Removed User 21 May 2012
> (In reply to MG)
>
>
> I know. I feel all guilty now.

I wouldn't, it'll be a template and they just had to type in "Lochee".

Anyway, I wouldn't go back there if I were you. If the staff are locally recruited you'll be in for a good kicking for that.
scrufff 21 May 2012
In reply to andyathome:

God help anyone who tries to pack their bags in situ and not at the little shelf by the door
Tim Chappell 21 May 2012
In reply to Removed User:

Just been in to test whether their apology meant anything. No kicking. Good service, actually. They even had a bloke hovering in case a queue of impatient philosophy professors built up
andyathome 22 May 2012
In reply to bighell:
I know. They really should ring that bell well before the queue gets long shouldn't they?
 tlm 22 May 2012
In reply to colina:
> the thing that really p****s me off though is putting the stuff in the trolley ,taking it out again at the till ,putting it back in the trolley again and finally taking it out again to put it in the car .

Why don't you take along a few of your own bags?

KevinD 22 May 2012

> Just been in to test whether their apology meant anything. No kicking. Good service, actually. They even had a bloke hovering in case a queue of impatient philosophy professors built up

he was waiting to execute any cashier who fell behind target.
nickyrannoch 22 May 2012

I once went into Lidl in Lochee and they had a special on jodphurs and riding helmets. A classic case of not knowing your community or were tehre rumours of the Fleet starting up a cavalry brigade?
 Al Evans 22 May 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell: From our local residents group;

5 minutes ago received following report on attempted robbery at Lidl, El Verger. (AGAIN)

If you must shop at Lidl please take care!

British man in Lidl complete with shoulder "man" bag. Requested by a man who's arms were full of bottles to get jar from shelf. Brit moved bag to back of shoulder and reached up to shelf then felt something touching his bag. He swung round and grabbed a man behind him by the arm. His bag was unzipped but everything was still intact. He shouted at the man, whereupon the original man plus another who was behind disappeared. He immediately went to the cashier who was totally disinterested and just shrugged her shoulders. She was not interested!!! The Brit feels that if she had called the Guardia these three could have been apprehended. The 3 men were in their 40's, dark hair, wearing white tee-shirts and jeans, reasonably smart. 2 were around 5'8" tall, normal build, the other was about 5'11" and heavily built. All three were Romanians.

I do really think that we should boycott Lidl as these reports are regularly reported every year - there has already been letters in the papers very recently. It is not just in this are, it seems all over Spain Lidl are the same. They cut costs to customers (they claim) but many customers pay with losing passports, credit cards and money to robbers. They refuse to install security cameras due to cost "to them" or security guards in the car parks. How long should the public have to put up with this!!!!!
Moley 22 May 2012
Massive grocerie stock-up today from Lidl.
Managed to NOT BUY the arc welder and petrol generator on offer - which other grocery stores offer this range!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...