UKC

Big thanks to Lyon Equipment!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tipsy 15 May 2012
Don't normally post things like this but I just wanted to post up a massive thanks and reccomendation for Lyon Equipment.

I don't think I've ever dealt with a company with more effective and helpful customer services.

I volunteer with mountain rescue and recently when out on exercise my Myo XP headtorch decided to start going off intermittently, followed by the cable and batteries heating up to a stupid temperature - almost painful to touch.

I got in touch with Lyon and explained the issue and the need for a quick turnaround (can't really be without a headtorch on MRT) and spoke with Nils in customer service. Having marked my package up as urgent and sent it to him last wednesday - a replacement arrived in the post this morning.

Quick, easy, helpful and very very impressed with their service! Just thought it would be worth putting up a shout out and a big thumbs up. Great to see that good old fashioned customer service hasn't died for every retailer yet.
 muppetfilter 15 May 2012
In reply to tipsy: When it comes to technical support on equipment Lyon are simply on their own !
Did you get any feedback on what had caused the fault , was it a manufacture defect or damage ?
OP tipsy 15 May 2012
In reply to tipsy:

Didn't get any feedback - I expect that it shorted out where the cable connects to the headtorch.

Important and impressive thing for me is that I got a replacement torch without having to argue for it in less than a week. Cannot fault that level of service!
 Tophe 15 May 2012
In reply to tipsy:

I had a very similar story, My Myo headtorch stopped working and I had no proof of purchase but the date stamp said it was 3 years 3 months old. Nils sent me a replacement very quickly as it was likely to be under 3 years old as it takes longer than 3 months to be distributed. Such great service!

I then randomly met Nils at almscliffe a week later and got to shake his hand for being so helpful ha!
 ross 15 May 2012
In reply to tipsy: I second that- Lyon have given me fantastic service, replacing axes, boots and crampons very quickly without arguing.

Mountain Boot Co have also been fantastic, replacing several pairs of boots which have failed.

We pay so much for gear which is marketed as ' hardcore', it's nice to receive some support when things go wrong. Hopefully these distributors benefit by gaining satisfied, loyal customers.

Cheers, Ross.
 Alex Slipchuk 15 May 2012
In reply to tipsy: i personally think the're a crock of sh*t. I too had a myo xp. Took it back to tiso's (point of sale). Still under 3 year warrantee. Was told uneconomical to repair. Tiso's rent it back. By the time i got it back unrepaired. The warrantee had expired. Bunch of thieves! Stay away. Ps this happened last year. I still have a myo xp that doesn't work. So if you're listening Mr petzl. Do the right thing. Well and truly named and shamed.
In reply to tipsy: meant to say. Well done to yourself for getting service. It's a shame they don't do that for everyone. It's also a shame that their PR dept will read the last post and still do nothing about it. So come on lyon equipment or petzl or whoever you are. Provide the service that i expected make right whet was wrong. You provided me with a product that failed under warranty, and refused to make right.

I await your reply,
looking forward to be proven wrong, but holding little hope.
Sandy
In reply to The Big Man: bmp
OP tipsy 15 May 2012
In reply to tipsy:

Have you tried asking them nicely and explaining your situation and how you feel wronged in a calm and enquiring manner? As opposed to spouting ranting rubbish on a forum calling them names? If I worked in customer service, I'd be far less inclined to talk to you, let along help you out, after reading a post like that.

However if you were to approach me with a genuine complaint about failings of services in a polite and friendly yet firm manner, I expect I'd be more than happy to investigate the issue and help you to the best of my ability.

Just a thought...
In reply to tipsy: that has already been tried. They would earn my respect and politeness if they had honoured their legally binding warranty at the time. My attitude is simply a reflection of disgust at a company getting good press, when i know differently. Of course my attitude would change if were honest.

Don't get me wrong, i would love to be nicer about it, but the whole process left a bad taste in my mouth, especially when dealing with Graham Tiso Outdoor experience, this is the high street retailer (notice i don't use the term climbing shop) where it was purchased, and who returned it to lyon on my behalf. The product had a couple of months left on the warranty when returned. It obviously is out of warranty now, so i'm kinda stumped.
 butteredfrog 15 May 2012
In reply to The Big Man:

There was a fault with earlier myo xp's and Lyon were always happy to replace them.
That sounds more like Tiso's not bothering to send it back. When I worked in retail (not that long ago) Lyon equipment had a very fair returns policy, and probably still do.
My guess is that your headtorch was never returned and probably sat on a shelf for a couple of months gathering dust.

Cheers Adam
 Captain Gear 15 May 2012
In reply to tipsy:

My expirence of Lyon's customer service has also been very good. They have always repaired or replaced products quickly and without hassle.

However Petzl should have issued a recall on the Myo XP. They consistently fail at the same point. I know about a dozen climbers, including myself, who have had Myo XPs (and in more than one case multiple Myo XPs) fail on them. When I went to Pakistan in 2010 we took three working and pretty new MYO XPs with us. We returned with three broken Myo XPs. Thankfully we had a couple of spare torches in the group.

I don't trust the Myo XP and would now only use a head torch without a cable attaching the battery pack.

HTH
 Flashy 15 May 2012
In reply to tipsy: I once had a Petzl torch fail (connection at light end) and binned it as I was abroad. I replaced it with a different model but sent Petzl UK an FYI-type email so that maybe in future they could prevent this fault.

Lyon quickly responded to the email asking to be sent the headtorch. When I told them I'd binned it they asked what I'd replaced it with and posted a bag of accessories for the new torch. Unbelieveable!
Love 15 May 2012
In reply to The Big Man: first of all your beef is with Tiso not Lyon. They shouldn't fob you off to Lyon. You should have insisted Tiso refunded you. Also despite your warranty being up if the goods weren't fit for purpose the warranty being out of date is irrelevant.

PS. My Myo XP is fine after several years even used caving. I've renewed my IRATA through Lyon at Dent and found them to be very professional. I've trusted my life with Petzl products not just seeing my way back from the Hill Inn to the tent.
In reply to Love:
> (In reply to The Big Man) first of all your beef is with Tiso not Lyon. They shouldn't fob you off to Lyon. You should have insisted Tiso refunded you. Also despite your warranty being up if the goods weren't fit for purpose the warranty being out of date is irrelevant.
>
> PS. My Myo XP is fine after several years even used caving. I've renewed my IRATA through Lyon at Dent and found them to be very professional. I've trusted my life with Petzl products not just seeing my way back from the Hill Inn to the tent.

Tiso were under no obligation to return it to lyon after 2 and half years. They did, and lyon returned it with a note saying not economical to repair. Lyon based the length of time that i had it on batch number, i base it on date of sale.

At the end of the day i have a non functioning head torch that went dead after 2 and a half years.

Love 15 May 2012
In reply to The Big Man: I'd be pissed off too if I were you. What are they £50? Bit too much dosh that for two and a half years.

I'd want a head torch though even if it meant making some bomb proof repairs. Maybe live and learn from this one however dissapointed you may be?
In reply to Love: you could be right, i only posted as i wanted to balance the scales, i think if a forum is able to give a company a pat on the back then it should also be capable of the reverse.
 Dominion 15 May 2012
In reply to The Big Man:

> Lyon based the length of time that i had it on batch number, i base it on date of sale.

Is that not the just the difference between a Manufacturer's Warranty - which is going to be based on the date of manufacture - and a shop's one year warranty, which is based on the date of sale?

I ask purely to clarify this, as I believe you said earlier that Lyon say it was too old.

spynappels 16 May 2012
In reply to The Big Man: To be fair, there have been a lot of examples where they have done well and given good service, and only you have posted (a huge amount of) negative comments. You're not really balancing the scales, more like trying to overwhelm them with volume rather than quality or argument.

I have to agree that your argument should be more with Tiso, but what do I know?
spynappels 16 May 2012
In reply to The Big Man:
> (In reply to Love) you could be right, i only posted as i wanted to balance the scales, i think if a forum is able to give a company a pat on the back then it should also be capable of the reverse.

To be fair, there have been a lot of examples where they have done well and given good service, and only you have posted (a huge amount of) negative comments. You're not really balancing the scales, more like trying to overwhelm them with volume rather than quality or argument.

I have to agree that your argument should be more with Tiso, but what do I know?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...