UKC

Stiff high leg boots?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GarethSL 15 May 2012
Hi all,

Can anyone suggest a high leg boot (Can compromise here, but is preferable) with the following specs?

- Stiff soled, don't have to be crampon compatible but a similar stiffness is desired.

- Thick, all leather (ideally 1 piece/minimal seams) uppers, with none of that painted leather, fabric etc. Something that can be cleaned with wax would be nice and not spray on budgiepiss re-proofer.

- Full rand

- Well made.

So far I've tried most of the Meindl boots (except glockner, cause I cant find a pair to try), Garmont's, Alfa's and Hanwags but none are stiff enough.

The new scarpa sl doesnt look too bad but is low, I can't try one on and I have rarely got on with scarpa boots. The Meindl Glockner looks somewhat ideal but anyone with any experience of these? Stiff? And how easy was the 'sil-nubuck' to clean?

If anyone can help or suggest others it would be greatly appreciated.
In reply to GrendeI:

I've no experience of them, but Alt-berg make something that looks to fit the bill.
 Flashy 15 May 2012
In reply to GrendeI: The soles *might* not be as stiff as you want, but have you considered army boots? All leather, high leg and you can probably get them very inexpensively from an army surplus place. I've seen places with boots from a number of foreign armies as well as British so there may even be an option to try a number of different types to see which fits best.
 muppetfilter 15 May 2012
In reply to GrendeI: A pair of scarpa fitzroys going on ebay at the minute with 40 mins left. Size 11 .
 Wilst 15 May 2012
In reply to GrendeI: If you've used nice walking boots before don't subject yourself to the pain and suffering that is issue boots, they're cheap, but they're also rubbish. A posh military boot might work but you may still struggle to find something as stiff as you want. Lowa mountain boot maybe, it's stiff and has a full rubber rand as well as being a top quality leather boot. Altberg make lovely boots but I don't know if they'll be stiff enough for you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...