UKC

Cuillin Ridge Traverse Footwear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon de Leyser 16 May 2012
Hey all,

Planning on the Cuillin Ridge Traverse this summer - just burnt through some old walking boots, don't have approach shoes.. now only have my Sportiva Trango Extreme Evo Lights GTX (B3 winter boots but super light at 1600g/pair, Gortex).

For those who have done the ridge/similarish scrambles/climbs... will these boots be ok? Or need I invest in some approach shoes?

Obviously they're edging capacity should be tip-top, smearing less so... is weight the only issue?

Cheers guys
 AdCo82 16 May 2012
In reply to JonmapDL:

I did it in Scarpa Manta B2's.....how fast do you want to do it and how competent are you????
In reply to JonmapDL:

Approach shoes are just a marketing term really. I reckon a pair of fell running shoes like Walshes are best - light, you can climb to VS in them (at least) and grippy. Though an eel would be grippy on Skye Gabbro! If you get wet feet they dry out quickly as well.

ALC
 Tom Last 16 May 2012
In reply to a lakeland climber:

Can you really climb well in Walshes? I've been wanting a pair of running shoes that are good on (wet) rock, my Innov-8s are absolutely hopeless.

To the OP, I did in in La Sportiva approach shoes, which were good for the job. My partner did it in a pair of boots with the toe flapping half off (not kidding) and he probably did better than I did, he's pretty steady though.
 Captain Gear 16 May 2012
In reply to Southern Man:

On grippy dry rock they're a pretty good once worn in a bit.

HTH
 Simon Caldwell 16 May 2012
What sort of Innov-8? My Mudclaws are brilliant on wet rock. I don't like climbing in them though as they're not robust enough - they tend to fall apart after a year even without jamming them in cracks etc!

I hate Inov8s on rock - I haven't come across any model or sole that hasn't felt like I'm about to skate off. Walshes are fine once the studs have worn down about a 1/3 to a 1/2 of their original height.

ALC
 Tom Last 16 May 2012

Ok thanks for that, guessing that they're good on wet grass too? Wet rock and grass seems to be the magic elusive combo. I'll give them a try, thanks.

Toreador. They're Flyrocs, I've not tried and other Innov-8s. Love 'em for everything else, but very cautious where it comes to rock. Agree crap to climb in too.

OP - sorry for hijack
 Paul Robertson 16 May 2012
In reply to JonmapDL:
I'm planning to do it this summer in Guide Tennies. I reckon they should be ideal.
 vscott 16 May 2012
In reply to JonmapDL:

Fell shoes wise - inov8 mudrocs are grippiest on rock (though sole will wear down quite fast). Otherwise, light approach shoes (five-ten, sportiva etc) good. Boots - will work fine but probably be a bit hot + there's a fair amount of terrain where being able to walk down slabs rather than turn in and downclimb makes things quicker - stiff boots will have less feedback for this than shoes.

wilkie14c 16 May 2012
In reply to Paul Robertson:
tennies
Did it last year in them and had plenty of other days up there in them too, if wet take some spare sock as they aren't the most water tight shoe but perfect for all the routes/scrambles. No grip issues at all
 alan_davies 16 May 2012
In reply to blanchie14c: I got the Griproc's on offer for £50 and so far been well impressed. Incredibly light and comfy, sticky, and with a proper stiff inside edge. Think they are still available at this price online...
 victorclimber 16 May 2012
In reply to JonmapDL: I did it in some old Brasher Suede boots ,climbing easy so long as its dry,and they were fine..
 Offwidth 16 May 2012
In reply to victorclimber:

I'm sure you could do it in most anything but for anyone who wants to be as comfortable as possible on a fairly big day out, well-worn-in fell running shoes or approach shoes seem to be the order of the day. I did it in some berghaus moccasin things similar to softer versions of five tennie guides.
 Luke90 16 May 2012
> I hate Inov8s on rock - I haven't come across any model or sole that hasn't felt like I'm about to skate off.

I find my RocLites quite grippy on rock (even when wet, though obviously to a more limited extent). They've certainly never made me feel uncomfortable or badly equipped even on actual scrambles. They still wouldn't be my first choice for a full day or more of scrambling but I would recommend them more generally.
 CathS 16 May 2012
In reply to JonmapDL: I bought a pair of Trango S Evo GTX's (the slightly lighter B2 version of what you have) specifically for days out in the Cuillin, and they've been brilliant (though I've not attempted the whole Ridge in one go). I noticed that a lot of the guides in Skye wear them too. They have got good precision, feel and stickiness for the technically harder sections, and are pretty comfortable.

Not sure whether the stiffer build of your boots would make them less comfortable though?

I'd be wary of using approach shoes for such a long day unless they were well tried and tested on such terrain. I've worn 5.10's for a few average length mountain scrambles and walk-ins to mountain routes and found I got extremely sore/blistered feet after a few hours, plus bruised ankles on rough scree descents. No doubt some approach shoes are better designed than others - but some are just over-priced, glorified trainers. Unless you're used to wearing such footwear all day in the mountains, I think there's also more chance of twisting an ankle as well.
In reply to JonmapDL:

Have done the traverse and the greater traverse. Used 5.10 approach shoes for the traverse and lightweight Lowa fabric boots for the greater, soloing all the climbing and abseils and I found these just right for me.
I prefer having light flexible footwear as it is not clumsy.
In reply to JonmapDL: I wore a lightweight pair of fabric boots, some Karrimor KSBs, the old non-goretex ones. I have also spent time up on the cuillin with approach shoes and would not recommend shoes of any sort - your ankles will get fragged and bruised all day, especially downhill at the end.
OP Jon de Leyser 17 May 2012
In reply to JonmapDL: Thanks all! really appreciate it..
~Sounds like many have been comfortable on the ridge with B2s of sorts, and since mine are comfy and light... they too should work find.
saves the wallet too eh?

Cheers again
 Ron Walker 17 May 2012
In reply to JonmapDL:

I wouldn't buy new boots / approach shoes or lighweight clothing for the Skye Cuillin if I could avoid it!!!!
I've worn out leather boots in just over a week. Several pairs of old trainers/approach shoes have had to be binned after just a day or two approaching rock climbs and gingerly descending scree.
One piece leather hillwalking boots such as the Mantas last well. Your Trango's will be better on the climbing sections though, but stitching and sole will wear down quickly.
Seam grip the exposed stitching beforehand along with duct-tape/glue to extend your footwear's life!!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...