UKC

Mastercams short trigger wire issue

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MeMeMe 17 May 2012

So I've got some mastercams and I like them but I've got an issue with the trigger wires.

I was trying to place one of the small ones the other day on a fairly marginal placement but found that because the trigger wires are so short when the stem is bent the trigger wires would actually un-cam the lobes on one side and pull the placement out.

This only happens on the smaller cams because they have a flexible stem between the lobes and the trigger mechanism and when this stem is bent it pulls on the wires on one side.

It wouldn't happen if the trigger wires were a bit longer than they needed to be to reach the lobes, but they aren't.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Has anyone tried re-wiring them?
They have quite precise/fiddly looking wire fixings.
 jimtitt 17 May 2012
In reply to MeMeMe:

There was a long discussion on this subject on rc.com a few years ago.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post...
OP MeMeMe 18 May 2012
In reply to jimtitt:

Interesting.
Bought them as a replacement for my dodgy Aliens.
Not have much luck with small cams!
 franksnb 18 May 2012
In reply to MeMeMe: if you read the whole thread (it took a while) it turns out that the trigger wires rotating isn't a problem.

in my experience it has never been a problem either.
 CurlyStevo 18 May 2012
In reply to franksnb:
OK but MeMeMe DID find it to be a problem so how can you say it isn't one?
OP MeMeMe 18 May 2012
In reply to franksnb:

I don't think what I was seeing was quite the same as what was described in that thread and it was a problem I noticed actually placing the gear on route so not something theoretical.

Did Aliens ever get manufactured with CE ratings in the end?
Anyone got C3s or zeros, what they like?
 CurlyStevo 18 May 2012
In reply to MeMeMe:
I've got a C3, not had it very long though so only placed a couple of times. Thoughts so far:
- Narrow head width is great they go in securely to placements wider cams will not.
- Stiff springs definately seem to help prevent movement on the cams and are fine when placing, the stems don't bend during retraction.
- Lateral stiffness is spot on as they do flex enough for placements in vertical cracks where quite unusually they can't be aligned to the direction of fall (without damaging the cables) but allow the cams to be fiddled in to cracks nicely, the stems are quite bendy the other way which is also good for horizontal placements where this is commonly needed.
- So far the extra width on the central lobe hasn't been an issue but I can see it being so for some placements as it won't 'fit' the rock as nicely as two lobes would.

C3s seem to be a bit of a marmite cam depending if you are talking to someone that actually owns one IMO
 1poundSOCKS 18 May 2012
In reply to MeMeMe: I did a bit of deliberating, mastercam's or C3s, I went for the C3s, partly because of issues I read about with the mastercams, although I can't remember the details. One article, which kind of decided for me, explained situations when mastercams didn't cam properly, but the the C3 did, sounded convincing, but again I can't remember the details.

I haven't fallen onto one (yet), but I do always carry at least one. They weigh very little, I seem to place them quite frequently, and the strong springs make the placement feel reassuringly solid.

Mathew.
 CurlyStevo 18 May 2012
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:
I probably would have gone for mastercams - the key reason I didn't was the rusting when used near sea cliffs, on mutliday trips I don't want to have to rinse my cams every day! The fact that it's yet another manufacturer to have to send back to for reslinging and the wider head width helped seal the deal.
 1poundSOCKS 18 May 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo: It would be good to hear if anybody has got any negatives about the C3, I think the only thing I've heard mention of is the spring being too strong, making them hard to place when pumped. Not been a problem so far but I haven't climbed many pumpy trad routes.
 Hannes 18 May 2012
In reply to MeMeMe:
> I was trying to place one of the small ones the other day on a fairly marginal placement but found that because the trigger wires are so short when the stem is bent the trigger wires would actually un-cam the lobes on one side and pull the placement out.

What size is it? My 00 does this on occasion when it isn't cammed properly. When it is cammed enough the trigger wires are long enough

My vote would probably go for WC zeros, they are very nice but you could always get some new aliens.
OP MeMeMe 22 May 2012
In reply to Hannes:

So in a fit of madness I've snipped off some of the protective coiled spring thing around the stem which has the same effect as making the trigger wires longer would.

I'm pretty sure there's no reason not to do this, it's not a structure part of the cam and most of it is still there protecting the stem.

I shall try testing it tonight to see if it fits better than before!
 Aigen 23 May 2012
In reply to MeMeMe: There is a video of this on youtube. Horizontal placement and the cam opens when loaded.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...