UKC

The Start Of Your New Career - as an Instructor

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Plas y Brenin 18 May 2012
premier post photo
If you would like to develop a career in the outdoors, our new fast track training programme could provide the ideal launch pad.

Over an intensive four-month training period you will work towards a clutch of National Governing Body Awards, gathering a huge amount of experience and developing your personal skills.

Full details and brochure at: http://www.pyb.co.uk/courses-fast-track.php
 jamiefox 27 May 2012
In reply to Plas y Brenin: Just out of curiosity, what's the salary for the career these qualifications get you? And also, job prospects? That's quite a bit of money to pay out there!
 kell_boy 27 May 2012
Depends where you work but generally the salary isnt high, More quialified instructors with a good few years can earn around 20k as my friend just got an new outdoor instructor job, my girlfriend started her career as an outdoor instructor 2 years ago and her salary is 12k but could get jobs further away for around 15k which was all year round (remembering alot of instructor jobs are seasonal!)
 Ander 28 May 2012
In reply to jamiefox:
> (In reply to Plas y Brenin) Just out of curiosity, what's the salary for the career these qualifications get you? And also, job prospects? That's quite a bit of money to pay out there!

Yes- it is a question of return on investment.

However, consider that it is considerably cheaper than getting a degree in media studies, and also that it might have additional benefits (for example 'fun' or 'fresh air') than a career in law.
loopyone 28 May 2012
In reply to Ander: Apart from the fact that with a 'career in law' you can earn enough money to enjoy 'fun' and 'fresh air' on your own terms and not at the beck and call of customers.
 Mark Eddy 02 Jun 2012
In reply to tatty112: Working in the outdoors is fantastic, beats an office everytime.
loopyone 03 Jun 2012
In reply to A Mountain Journey: In your opinion. Work as a builder. Thats outdoors and pays better enabling you to spend more time doing the kind of outdoorsy stuff you want to. You have missed the point entirely.
 Mark Eddy 03 Jun 2012
In reply to tatty112: No i'd say you've missed the point. If an outdoor instructor feels they're always at the 'beck & call' of customers, then it's not the career for them. It could be argued that teachers should leave their profession and seek better paid, less stressful employment, but there's so much more to it than 'just a job' - it's a choice and a lifestyle choice at that.
In reply to A Mountain Journey: Better paid than a teacher? Can't think of many jobs with the equivalent pay and terms which have as much 'unpaid leave' as teachers.
 muppetfilter 10 Jun 2012
In reply to Matt Bill Platypus: Rope Access...

For £9000 you could do your level 1, Offshore survival and medical, and NDT tickets/ rigging course/training as a painter . The expected wage would be between 35-60K , offer worldwide travel and involve 6 months work a year (2 on 2 off).

The food is the same as school as well.
 payney1973 14 Jun 2012
In reply to Plas y Brenin:
Its about job satisfaction!!!
i started off as an apprentice engineer 22 years ago and it just wasnt for me, i would be on a fantastic wage by now had i have stuck it out.
i joined the army and have enjoyed every minute of it even when i was on approx 9k per year.

I will have a nice pention when i leave the army in three years so will be looking at a career as an instructor, again for job satisfaction, its not a job you do because you want to live in a mantion or drive a ferrari.

I have even emailed PYB in the past to look at the prospect of being a centre assisant for the season when i leave, i heard nothing back, even a get back to us nearer the time, which i thought was quite rude, so ill definitely be taking my money else where.

Slaney 15 Jun 2012

So to clarify; you want £10k and state 'work towards' - sounds like there is more money to find to turn the 'huge amount of experience' into an actual qual. Why not be more to the point and state the exact figure it will cost to achieve said awards.
 payney1973 19 Jun 2012
In reply to Slaney: good post, and this is a point they brush over in their brochure.
i spoke to them a few years ago at the outdoor show, they actually guarantee sweet FA.
SO!!! if you and complete novice in all things outdoor, youre just chucking 10k to PYB for a few courses lol, when i first looked then this cse was about £6000 i cant see where the extra 3k has come from??
 agolay 20 Jun 2012
Four month? so in theory if there new to the outdoor world they wont get assessed in anything, consolodation for most things is still 6 months right? (I suppose it does say "work towards a clutch of NGB's" not gain them.
i much prefer getting paid AND getting NGB's working where i do now myself!
 bigdan050 22 Jun 2012
In reply to Matt Bill Platypus: soldier.
 bigdan050 22 Jun 2012
In reply to payney1973:

Enjoyed every minute? Really?? you must have stagged on at some point in that long career....
 Jacob Ram 26 Jun 2012

The problem is there are so many 'instructors' been churned out, all that is left is for the instructors to train more instructors,and the fast track scheme is little more than buying a dream with not much of a chance of finding work at the end.
 Ash_Johnson 27 Jun 2012
In reply to bigdan050:

Nope, it's not unpaid, it's paid
 JasRY 29 Jun 2012

I am interested to know or find out if anyone has done thhis course and if so was it worth while? While i do think it looks good it does look like a hell of a lot of money for only a few months.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...