UKC

Fuel for MSR stoves

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
leecamonline 18 May 2012
Walkng around Lidl today I noticed their barbecue lighting fluid labeled as Naphtha. Does anyone know if this is suitable for MSR stoves and if so is it any better than unleaded petrol?

It's cheaper at 99p a litre!
 ankyo 18 May 2012
In reply to leecamonline: I run my Optimus multi fuel stove on it and it is brilliant, really clean. It's also know as Panel wipe. Sorry if that doesn't answer your question exactly. I don't have an MSR.
 Nigel Thomson 18 May 2012
In reply to leecamonline: It sounds parrafin based and as such will be more oily than petrol. Wouldn't recommend it as it will clog the jet and could flare if it's not compatible with the jet.
 Nigel Thomson 18 May 2012
In reply to the weegy: It could work with the MSR international
 ankyo 18 May 2012
In reply to the weegy: Not at all paraffin based. Very low viscosity and highly volatile
leecamonline 18 May 2012
In reply to ankyo: If it works in the Optimus I would have thought it will work in the MSR. The only thing is which jet do I use? Does anyone know if it is closer to white gas or kerosene?
I was thinking exactly the same thing when I last wandering around Lidl several weeks ago.

Please let us all know if it works...
 Lankyman 18 May 2012
In reply to leecamonline: I've run an MSR XGK on all kinds of stuff - petrol (leaded and unleaded), barbecue fluid and even diesel (never again - left a real mess!). You'll probably be OK with the Lidl stuff - you can change the jet to suit. Why not just try it on a short run with a small amount? You've only your eyebrows to lose ...... Do they sell it in Aldi?
Never mind that. Can I put it in my car?!
 ankyo 19 May 2012
In reply to leecamonline: Pretty sure it's closer to Kerosene
 dan ely 19 May 2012
In reply to leecamonline:
ive tryed bbq lighting fluid on my wisperlight. It burned too uncontrolable for my liking. The flame kept getting really big.
Its worth a try though if you don't mind gambling a pound and you do it outdoors.
 dan ely 19 May 2012
In reply to leecamonline:
look up aspen 4, you may have a dealer near you.
leecamonline 19 May 2012
In reply to dan ely: Is your whisper lite multi fuel? As has been mentioned I think the fuel is close to kerosene and therefore would need the MSR K jet. This has a narrower hole than the MSR G jet and would therefore let less fuel through which may be why you experienced flare up.

I will try and give it a test tomorrow and post the results.
 chiz 19 May 2012
In reply to leecamonline: used naptha in my Dragonfly for a 6 week period and it was absolutely fine, was sold as dry cleaning fluid (in france), can't remember which jet I used, but I think there is a list in the instructions which includes naptha. From memory there are several types of naptha, I think I got Naptha C? Why not just email MSR, they are very helpful?
 Toerag 20 May 2012
In reply to leecamonline: After a few years my MSR Dragonfly started 'blowing itself out' - sent it back for repair and they said it was due to running it on unleaded all the time and I should have run it on kerosene/paraffin occasionally. The valve was corroding inside apparently.
leecamonline 20 May 2012
In reply to leecamonline: OK today I did a test with the Lidl BBQ lighting fluid.

First I left the G jet on the MSR Dragonfly which is the one recommended for white gas and unleaded fuel just so I could do a comparison. The Lidl BBQ lighting fluid is actually quite difficult to light. The lighter I keep with my stove and only sparks which is fine to ignite unleaded petrol wouldn't light it. I had to find a lighter with a decent flame and even then you have to hold it there to get this stuff to light. It also seemed to take a long time to vapourise the fluid. When it did get going it burned hot and strong with a clean blue flame with no flare ups.

I switched to the K jet and again the stuff is quite difficult to light and again it took a little longer than usual to prime and vapourise the fluid but it was a bit faster/easier with the K jet. Again, once going, burned strong with a clean blue flame and no flare ups.

I don't know if this priming is usual with e.g. kerosene because I have only ever used unleaded petrol.

I'll run it like this and if I encounter any problems will post on here.

As it is harder to light it may be safer than unleaded petrol? However the fact that it doesn't vapourise easily means that you are possibly pouring a jet of fluid on to a hot stove which made it flare. Maybe it's just a case of getting used to the priming, amount of initial fuel to let into the cup and priming time.

Also, it may only be suitable for multi fuel stoves?

If ultimately it's cleaner, less toxic and cheaper than unleaded...

The choice is yours!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...