UKC

Expedition Food

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 craig.coid 21 May 2012
Looking for some variety for exped' food beyond Mountain House for long week in Scotland and some action in the Alps.

Any favourites being recommended beyond M-House?

Thanks
 Bruce Hooker 21 May 2012
In reply to craig.coid:

In the Alps the simplest is to go to the nearest supermarket! No need for "expedition" food... I'm not sure about Scotland though.. it seems to me they had shops the last time I was there, but I might be wrong.
 David Hooper 21 May 2012
In reply to craig.coid: cicerone do a fantastic expedition cookbook called movable feasts - recommended.

Of course if you climb further afield,Andes morocco etc,you can always hire a cook and donkey for supplies. Mo our morrocan cook could rustle up some fabulous salads and tagines and always knew a flowery shady little lunch stop even in harsh ranges like jebel sahro.
OP craig.coid 21 May 2012
In reply to Bruce Hooker:
I take it you can't see the light coz ur so far up.
Simple question; simple answer or just keep out.
 Bruce Hooker 21 May 2012
In reply to craig.coid:

Going to the Alps or Scotland is hardly going on an expedition. Just eat what you would normally eat on a picnic. Supplement it with Nestles concentrated milks, Mars bars, dried fruit or whatever takes your fancy... just as most people do.
OP craig.coid 21 May 2012
In reply to Bruce Hooker:
Wow, in the presence of Gods.
Move along now...
almost sane 22 May 2012
In reply to craig.coid:

If you want good advice you need to give more info before you get the recommendations you want. You did not recognise it, but Bruce gave good advice and you flamed him.

But seeing as you are new, I shall give you my thoughts on food.

My favourite exped food varies according to what I am doing.
For a big exped in a remote place, my favourite is 3 course meals with a choice of up to 5 options per course prepared by cooks who then do all the washing up. All food and cooking gear carried by support vehicles or ponies. Luxury.

When I am looking after groups of beginners, I like Look What We Found main courses with microwave rice (very quick and easy to heat, tasty, and it doesn't matter if I get interupted in the middle of cooking).

When I am staying close to "civilisation" I just shop locally, that way I get tasty and fresh food.

When I am doing more than one day's walk carrying all my own food, then I use a lot of instant mash with more substantial dried or nearly dried stuff for flavour, like sun-dried tomatoes, or chorizo. Custard is a staple.
 saffy 22 May 2012
In reply to craig.coid: haribo and peanuts
 payney1973 22 May 2012
In reply to craig.coid: have a look at the LWWF (Look what we found) ready meals made by the Tanfield food company in Connsett Durham.

Very tasty menus, just boil in the bag ready meals.

you can buy on line, just google the product name and itll get you to the site.
In reply to craig.coid: I haven't got a clue what the hell Mountain House is, but if you want decent food in the Alps you just carry a credit card with you. Quite honestly I never seem to have to put any effort into cooking in the Alps - strong coffee, bread, fresh pasta and olive oil does the job more than adequately when I'm not staying in a hut or in the valley.

As regards Scotland, you can't beat a black pudding fry up for breakfast. Oat cakes and caboc for lunch goes down well. For dinner some well hung Aberdeen Angus steaks are always a good beat which at this time of year can be nicely served Jersey Royals, although in warm weather finding a decent storage container for the butter to go with them is a bit of a pain. As regards the Scotch to go with it, I generally make a point of drinking one from a distillery local to where I am - just decant it into empty 500ml fizzy pop bottles beforehand.
 summitjunkie 22 May 2012
In reply to craig.coid: If it's lightweight pouched stuff you're after we have the following dehydrated porridge mixes in vacuum packed zip pouches, in 100g (approx. 400 kCal) and 150g (approx. 600kCal) fill weights, if you're interested. Just add boiling water, like the Westler ones Leezo was doing on here last year, reseal, and allow to rehydrate. Very tasty, lighter than wet rations and no washing!

Original - £1.49 and £1.99 + p&p
Apple & Sultana - £1.99 and £2.49 + p&p
Apple & Cranberry - £1.99 and £2.49 + p&p
Cherry & Almond - £2.49 and £2.99 + p&p
Chocolate & Almond - £2.49 and £2.99 + p&p
Strawberry - £2.69 and £3.49 + p&p

Can also do a mixed pack (one of each flavour) for £11.99 (100g fill) or £14.99 (150g fill).

Mail me if interested.
OP craig.coid 22 May 2012
In reply to payney1973:
That's the kind of answer I was looking for - thanks
In reply to summitjunkie:
That too is the kind of answer I was looking for - thanks
In reply to almost sane:
I recognised it - for exactly what it was.

Not new, and not a wee boy either.

Thanks for the advice you did give tho
 goatee 22 May 2012
In reply to craig.coid: Hi Craig, I usually take noodles and a nice spicy chirzo. Cheap as chips and really light for the calories. A little coffee and a treat for afters and dinner is sorted. Cous cous is another option. If you can get some Petite Savoyard Sausicon do. They are delicious and a little goes a long way for flavour. Other than that pasta is always good. Get the hollow spagetti as it cooks in no time and some stir in sauce. Flapjacks are good when on the move. Oh and don't even bother getting involved in dialogue with some, they are just children.
 Solaris 22 May 2012
In reply to craig.coid:

For dried food, I haven't found anything better than Mountain House.

For the alps, have a look at Will McLewin's Monte Viso's Horizon: he bivvied in style with tins of steak, potatoes and, iirc, even some wine. And he did so for the good reason that food is important for morale as well as energy, and although no one could say his morale didn't get him places, most would do with less morale boosting on bivis than him!
In reply to goatee:
Thanks, good advice there - like the cous cous & chorizo idea. And agree with your sentiments.

All I hoped for was options other than Mountain House dry food to go light - seemed easy enough!

Cheers again

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...