UKC

Midges

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Gillott 21 May 2012
Apologies if this has been asked already (I couldn't find anything with a quick search).

Any educated guesses as to whether they might or might not appear in force in Western Scotland within the next three weeks? Any chance the current crop have strangled before birth by a well-timed frost?
 Horse 21 May 2012
In reply to John Gillott:

I wouldn't get your hopes up

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=506365

http://2010.midgeforecast.co.uk/

You might get lucky
OP John Gillott 21 May 2012
In reply to Horse:

Oh dear, I had hoped they wouldn't be out already.

So, pray for wind, try out the various creams and if all else fails keep moving if at all possible.
 Milesy 21 May 2012
Even if the numbers dropped by a half would you really notice the difference anyway!
 Milesy 21 May 2012
I also like how Nuisance is above high on that list! I would say nuisance is the bottom of the list.
 Adam Lincoln 21 May 2012

Where you headed John? Am going to be on Skye for 4 days from Thursday...
In reply to Milesy:

I am thinking of taking the kids. I can imagine they might struggle to get to sleep more than they normally do after their first proper experience of midges.
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

Hi Adam - Glen Nevis at half term, so a bit later than that (2-9 June) It's a trip with the kids mainly. My son wants to walk up Ben Nevis (and do it younger than I did it; he's a competitive little so and so). But having said that if I get up I dare say I'll have a look around the boulders in Glen Nevis if nothing else. Don't think I'll be able to abandon them to the midges while I get a rope on though I'm afraid.
 JohnnyW 21 May 2012

No. Got bitten this weekend, the wee b*****s!
 kwoods 21 May 2012
In reply to John Gillott: Got bitten at Polldubh yesterday night. First swarm of the year!
 AlH 22 May 2012
In reply to John Gillott: Last week at Polldubh got munched on, yesterday during the day with bright sunlight only got one bite. They are definitely out!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...