UKC

Anyone built a free standing boulder cave?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Looking to build a boulder cave in the shed. Independent internal timber frame, frame connectors to hold it together.

Anyone done the same? Carpenters - any idea whether this would work? The shed is flimsy so cannot be used as a supporting framework.

Ta for advice.
luke obrien 23 May 2012
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat: Yes I did one in my garage. Used 2x4 a simple frame. Used simple metal fixtures from band q. Biggest pain was installing all the t-nuts make sure they aren't threaded before fixing them in as it can be a pain if they get stuck when you are putting holds in.

If you can find some of my pics in the gallery I posted some of my wall but they focused on the back wall that hangs of an adjustable chain (think its posted under indoor walls).. I can take some more of the actual frame if it helps.

If you have the cash, this wouldn't be a major job for a joiner.
In reply to luke obrien: Cheers for the reply. Was considering a joiner having a go as my claim to fame is I scored 4% in my mock woodwork exam (so it doesn't bode well!).

I like the look of your wall btw!
 Swig 24 May 2012
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat:

You could reinforce the shed first.

Just screwing sheets of plywood in to make your shed double skinned (I'm guessing at how it is) would make it a lot stronger. You could also double up on and/or cross brace some of the uprights etc.

I suppose that's a bit similar to just tying you free standing structure into the structure of the shed.
In reply to Swig:
> (In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat)

> I suppose that's a bit similar to just tying you free standing structure into the structure of the shed.

To maximise space I was hoping to remove the current roof supports so the shed would have to be tied into the new frame with the roof resting on it so in effect I'd be doing what you suggest in a way.
 ian1234567 28 May 2012

yes, i built a scaffoling frame then attached ply to it, all it cost the sheets of wood the poles and clamps were free from various scaffold companys. i think i used over 100m of poles.
 David Coley 28 May 2012
Have a look at the picture in my profile.
 jubolo 28 May 2012
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat: I was looking to build one of these:-

http://www.chockstone.org/techtips/woodie.htm

Then I hurt my shoulder and lost interest.
But I suppose you could adapt it to fit into a shed (and if it's anything like my shed, one move off the lawn mower would have you at the top.)
In reply to David Coley: Cool!
In reply to jubolo: thanks for info.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...