UKC

BMC Peak Area meeting - 30th May 2012 - Staffs!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Simon 23 May 2012
The next BMC Peak Area meeting is almost upon us on Wednesday 30th May.

It will be near the brutal gritstone paradise of Ramshaw Rocks in Staffordshire, at The Winking Man pub, Buxton Road, Upper Hulme, Staffordshire. ST13 8UH

Please arrive at 7:45 to start at 8pm promptly as we have a special guest, Helen Dale, Staffordshire Wildlife Trust, to discuss the Future plans for The Roaches with the area meeting.

Details are here and everyone is welcome:

http://community.thebmc.co.uk/Event.aspx?id=2641

All the latest access (of which there is quite a lot again), guidebook and climbing news from the region will be on the menu, as well as issues relevant to clubs and individuals.

Last year we had a great turn out with some new faces – hope to see you all there again.

Cheers

Si
 Offwidth 23 May 2012
In reply to Simon:

Hopefully this year it won't rain and we might get a few hours climbing in first, as we used to in the 'good old days' when the meetings were held in the midge infested DW hut. Anyone interested could post here...previously we have climbed at Ramshaw and The Roaches and I'm certainly going to be out somewhere.
OP Simon 23 May 2012
In reply to Offwidth:

I've got a good feeling that this year we will have some clement weather Steve - although I may have to forfeit the climbing / walking before hand for the BMC dignitaries... although they may be in the field hopefully!

However yes - the Newstones/Baldstones, Gibb Torr Roaches and Ramshaw are all in easy reach to knock a few routes off before the meeting & the walks round Gradbach area are lovely too...

I will prey for sun for us all!

BTW - as there is no BMC newsletter this time around, the Access issues have not been circulated before the meeting and so these may take a little longer than usual.

One thing that the Peak Access Reps would welcome are any questions you may have that you feel would benefit an answer (as best we can) on the current on going issues such as Stanage / North Lees Estate, Eastern Moors and The Sheffield Moors partnership and Upper Derwent Moors schemes...

We want the BMC members to be abreast of as much we can impart as there is so much going on and indeed, at stake...

Cheers

Simon
BMC Access Rep
Lynn BMC President 25 May 2012
Update in relation to the BMC Peak Area Meeting (Wednesday, 30th May, 8pm)

As well as the above agenda items,'Over the Moors' will be on sale at Wednesdays meeting at the very ‘special’ price of £20 – yes, I know, it’s an absolute bargain. If you can’t raise that sort of cash in time, then cheques made payable to the BMC will be accepted.

Also at the meeting will be Dan Middleton, Technical Officer for the BMC, with some sort of ‘gear strength testing machine’. He aims to break some karabiners, and I will bring along the slings that Dan Lane and I removed from Aldery Cliff. Please feel free to bring along your gear to be tested –if you dare!

That’s all for now. Look forward to seeing you on Wednesday. Don’t forget the later start of 8pm, unless you fancy doing a Zumba class which is in the room before us!

Cheers for now, Lynn
 Offwidth 29 May 2012
In reply to Moff:

Looks like we may be shower dodging but given the rainfall radar being much better than the pessimistic BBC predictions in the last couple of days, I've got my fingers crossed about getting something done before the meeting. I'll look tomorrow and post where we are heading if anyone else is interested. Ramshaw is normally good as bits face in all directions and its a rare climber who has ticked everthing there. Newstones is also possible as Moff can limp in there on her crutches.
 Graeme Hammond 29 May 2012
In reply to Offwidth:

it was sunny last year before the meeting. if anyone wants to do a few routes at baldstones give me a shout on 07876302596 or email tonight, will be in the area from about 5.15
 andi turner 29 May 2012
In reply to Simon:

I'd be grateful if you could pass on my apologies as despite it only being a few miles from my house, my reasonably pregnant Mrs, whos birthday it is on the 30th may be more than a touch miffed if I explained that I was going to Winkers to hang out with climbers for the evening.

For the record: The peregrines are still on Hen Cloud; and I'm not too fussed either way about wind farms and the "Over the Moors" guidebook is quite superb
 Offwidth 30 May 2012
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

Sorry, I think most folk are meeting at The Roaches.
 Chris the Tall 30 May 2012
In reply to Moff:
Have to send my apologies I'm afraid

At least it looks you might get some climbing in this time - maybe it's because I can't make it!
OP Simon 30 May 2012
In reply to andi turner:
> (In reply to Simon)
>
> I'd be grateful if you could pass on my apologies

Sorry chap - due to some lovely fellow hacking into my email - I am having to do a PC rescue job over the last few days & can't make it either... I think we are covered ok for the access team's reports & SWT are doing a talk.

I'm sure Offwidth will give our apologies along with Chris Talls...

All the best btw to you & the Mrs wi thee sprog!

Si

Offwidth 31 May 2012
In reply to Simon:

Good meeting and especial thanks to Dan live demonstrating the destruction of various bits of gear from brand new to scary looking. It seems scratched slings can be much weaker than heavily nicked or sunbleached ones... surprised me!
 gingerwolf 31 May 2012
In reply to Offwidth:
> (In reply to Simon)
>
> Good meeting and especial thanks to Dan live demonstrating the destruction of various bits of gear from brand new to scary looking. It seems scratched slings can be much weaker than heavily nicked or sunbleached ones... surprised me!

Seconded, Steve!! I found it invaluable infrmation on the state of gear!

And thanks to Helen from Staffordshire Wildlife Trust for easing our concerns about the future of the Roaches - thats one weight off our minds!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...