UKC

When to start climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 flo78 24 May 2012
Is it too young at 4 to start showing my son who seems to want to climb everything at home and on the few occasions I have taken him when bouldering seems to enjoy himself clambering over the lower rocks
 stujamo 24 May 2012
In reply to flo78: Probably not,if he's happy and safe,I'd encourage it :O)
OP flo78 24 May 2012
In reply to AlH: seems I may have left it late to start him at 4
 stujamo 24 May 2012
In reply to AlH: Wonderful!
 poeticshambles 25 May 2012
In reply to AlH: Haha that's amazing, loved it
 rurp 25 May 2012
In reply to flo78: I started at 5 with bowline round my waist on gritstone, don't have very happy memories of difficult to breath ascents! However lakes and walls mod/diff/vdiff etc all have happy memories from that age. ended up doing my first 4000m peak at 7. Think I peaked at about 12!
you need to be able to reach some holds and gritsone is very spaced for many routes.lakes and wales scrabling/easy climbs are spot on for kids. I think the limiting factor nowadays is the need for harnesses and helmets etc that fit
 Voltemands 25 May 2012
In reply to AlH: Awesome stuff. But, when he is a 16 year old base jumping, shark swimming and general adrenaline junky with no fear, you have only yourself to blame
 Carolyn 25 May 2012
In reply to Voltemands:
> Awesome stuff. But, when he is a 16 year old base jumping, shark swimming and general adrenaline junky with no fear, you have only yourself to blame

Yes, this. I'm safe climbing at the moment, but 6 year old is a demon on skis and will definitely overtake me at some point.

Re: Climbing - mine have both been bouldering at Font every year and always found something suited to their ability. Last year (coming up 3 and coming up 6) the little one could do odd kiddy White problems - the big one could do whole circuits, although more commonly got bored somewhere after half way in and went to dig in the sand instead.

Big one also climbed a couple of pitches of Ordinary Route on Idwal slabs at coming up 5, but generally less interest in anything roped or at climbing wall.
 AlH 25 May 2012
In reply to Carolyn: Sounds familiar... Now he's 4 in 2 months
Not interested in roped climbs but seconded severe in his trainers at Reiff
Has started skiing (downhill and nordic)
Is on his 3rd bike!
Had a daughter 2 days ago... she's eyes open, using legs to push herself about and almost holding her head up- plus she's bigger than him.
I'm doomed by the time they are teenagers!
 Howardw1968 25 May 2012
In reply to AlH:
Congrats on the birth, we await the video of her climbing in her nappy
 pcummins60 27 May 2012
In reply to flo78: Took my six year old to the climbing wall a couple of weeks ago. He loved it, I let him go as far as he wanted, top roping and bouldering, he loved it, keeps asking when he can go back. My four year old is a little bit reluctant, so I'm not pushing him to go, all in good time. I say if it's safe and he finds it fun, go for it
 stonemaster 27 May 2012
In reply to flo78: As long as he is enjoying it...good luck.
 Jenny C 28 May 2012
In reply to Voltemands:
> (In reply to AlH).......... But, when he is a 16 year old base jumping, shark swimming and general adrenaline junky with no fear, you have only yourself to blame

Interestingly some friends (both climbers, cyclists, kayakers, walkers, scuba divers) said much the same. Whilst they want their lads to enjoy and appreciate the outdoors they don't want them to have done everything, so that by the time they rech their 20's they are pushing stupidly dangerous limits in order to get the adrenaline fix.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...