UKC

Everest - A regulatory framework

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 radson 26 May 2012
A purely hypothetical exercise as I suspect the Nepal Ministry of Tourism and Civil Aviation are quite happy with the amount of climbers and notoriety achieved this season on Everest....actually that's not fair, I have no idea what they are thinking.

Anyways while jogging yesterday, I was wondering what regulatory framework could be used to control crowds on the Nepalese side. ( I have even less faith that the Chinese mountaineering association wish to regulate their side)A framework that was transparent, maintained revenue to the country and reduced the persons climbing each year.

A simple solution would be to jack up the prices of the permit. Pure economics and thus ensure that the big "E' became the sole preserve of the wealthy. ( I very much disagree that Everest is now the domain of the wealthy..more often the childless) Another system, and perhaps ran in conjunction with an increase in permit fees could be a points or credit systems for climbing other Nepalese peaks.

Something along the lines, that only after having successfully climbed x number of 6,000 m peaks, x number of 7,000 m peaks and or x number of 8,000 m Nepalese peaks, could a permit be given to climb Everest. Alternately, having climbed Baruntse for example, gives someone a $x,000 of the permit fee for Everest.

This system could be used to steer people towards less crowded peaks and poorer areas of Nepal aside the Khumbu. I do realize that issues of verification, accountability and transparency abound in what is a very poor country. It's just that in all the angst written over crowded Everest . I have never seen anyone propose a solution.

Thoughts?
 Damo 26 May 2012
In reply to radson:

Just proves my point that no good ever comes of jogging.
Anonymous 26 May 2012
In reply to radson:

It's not a very poor country. Billions have been sprayed at the place since the 60's - most of it never leaves Khatmandu.

D
 Banned User 77 26 May 2012
In reply to radson: Isn't it up to them..

They could easily turn around and point at Stanage and compare them with the kinder edges.. what if the NPA starting charging access to the eastern edges, that would spread the burden..
 bouldery bits 26 May 2012
In reply to radson:

The solution is to shorten Everest by 238m.
This will make K2 the tallest and then no one will bother with Everest.

Simple.
abseil 26 May 2012
In reply to Anonymous:
> (In reply to radson)
> It's not a very poor country. Billions have been sprayed at the place since the 60's...

It's not very poor, really? There are many lists of the poorest countries in the world. In most lists Nepal comes around 20th from the bottom, out of 190 or so countries.
 Al Evans 26 May 2012
In reply to bouldery bits:
> (In reply to radson)
>
> The solution is to shorten Everest by 238m.
> This will make K2 the tallest and then no one will bother with Everest.
>
> Simple.

Ans then if the rush for the highest Peak continued we would have loads more deaths!
 Damo 26 May 2012
In reply:

There is no doubt that Nepal IS poor. But it should not be as poor as it is. Too much foreign money is siphoned off by either outside businesses operating in KTM (there's a racial element here I won't go in to) and sending the money out, and corrupt and incompetent government over decades. The whole Maoist thing didn't help, and in many ways was a product of the corruption and mismanagement.

I first went to Nepal in January 1989. Every time I go back I marvel at how little KTM has changed. The airport is 'new' but the journey in to town is almost identical. The lanes of Thamel likewise, only some signs have changed. Some people might like that, but for the locals - all of them - it shows a disgraceful waste of money and opportunity. Tens of millions of dollars in hard currency pour into Nepal (mainly KTM) each year, and where does it go? What has the government done with these funds to help local people?

The reason there are such severe power outages in KTM is not because of bloody global warming. It's because the population of KTM has grown in recent years, as nobody wants to be a farmer in a remote village any more, and the government has done nothing to compensate for that increase with power infrastructure or better management. Unlike a lot of other poor countries, Nepal has had significant foreign tourism for decades. They're not Burma, Afghanistan, Vietnam, or some poor African nation. The opportunity has been there, but the people of Nepal have had it wasted for them by successive greedy and incompetent governments, including the royal family.

And this is on top of millions upon millions that have been spent in Nepal since the 1950s by the Swiss and other nations - for bridges, roads, schools. Imaging if they had not had that aid?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...