UKC

Lofoten - All Kinds of Advice Please !!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Stockholm Syndrome (USA) 29 May 2012
Hello,

Me and mate off to Lofoten back end of next week.

Flying to oslo, train to Bodo, Hire car...adventure in the Mountains and then flying back to Oslo from Bodo.

Who has been? Where is the best place to eat? What are the best supermarkets to stock up on for camp food? Did you camp? Did you cook food on fires? did you get eaten by midges? did you catch any fish and eat them? Are the locals friendly? Is it really £20 a pint? How much is a coffee?

Assault me with information and experiences !!!!
 TobyA 29 May 2012
In reply to Stockholm Syndrome (USA):

> Who has been?

Three times.

> Where is the best place to eat?

Next to you tent normally. More seriously, never eaten out there besides a pizza in Narvik on the way home. Norwegian food doesn't have a great rep but I'm sure there's decent restaurant in Svolvaer - its reasonably touristy so there must be something.

> What are the best supermarkets to stock up on for camp food?

Decent sized ones in Svolvaer.

> Did you camp?

Yes, always at Kalle strand which I've always greatly enjoyed.

> Did you cook food on fires?

A couple of times. There were fire rings there - don't know the ethics/legality of that though.

> did you get eaten by midges?

Nope. Hasn't been a problem when I've been there.

> did you catch any fish and eat them?

I haven't but friends have - some by rod, some spear fishing although the fjord under Stetind seemed the ultimate place for that by the amount they caught. We caught crabs (in the sea I mean!) and ate those.

> Are the locals friendly?

Norwegians generally are although you don't meet many when just camping and climbing.

> Is it really £20 a pint?

Nope, but its a lot as I remember. It seemed like really splashing out to have a beer after our successful ascent of Vestpillaren which remains one of the highlights of climbing career.

> How much is a coffee?

Dunno, make your own on the campsite. We took an Espresso maker and oddly found that we became best mates with two ultra hard French lads on the campsite who kept wandering over to our tents in the morning smiling as soon as the coffee came out!

In reply to TobyA: cheers for the prompt reply!

Does the campsite cost anything? Are beers cheap at the supermarket?

How much (sorry if this is just totally invasive) spending money did you take for a weeks camping?

Thanks Mate,

i just cant wait for this trip !

cheers,

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 29 May 2012

Beer is about £7 in the bar, about £2:50 a can (4.5%) in the supermarket. Easting out is very expensive.
Free camping at Kalle and Gandalf - both get very busy at times.
Charge camping at Orsvågvaer and Sanvika - pretty cheap though - plus there are showers/wifi etc.

Chris
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Hi chris, thanks for the info, me and my mate got shafted in Switzerland for £10 for a bottle of water and about £120 or whatever it is for the train up the Eiger last year so i'm trying not to let Norway get out of hand lol.

I think I'll get beers from the supermarket

Where is the Supermarket? Can you get all fresh fruit and veg?

i'm sitting here thinking 'Chris Craggs' that name sounds familiar? - then I realised you're the guy who wrote the lofoten guidebook ! - nice one mate. Just sitting reading that now.

Cheers again for the info!

Stockholm Syndrome

P.S. Cool Name for a climber.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 29 May 2012

There are small shops in Henningsvaer and Kablevag, bigger ones (and even a Mall) in Svolvaer. Yes you can buy fresh fruit and veg, it is Norway, not the moon!
Keep all your beer cans/coke bottles and cash them in - 1 NOK for a small bottle. 2.5 NOK for a big one. Machines in all supers for recycling.

Galleries here: http://www.pbase.com/chris_craggs/lofoten

Enjoy,

Chris
 HeMa 29 May 2012

Pretty much all the questions have been answered... so have a good time.

Maybe we'll even meet, as I'll prolly roll in to Kalle "camping" sometime in the evening of next Sun...
 Mattyk 29 May 2012
Reema 1000 is the cheapest supermarket.
camp at paradiset if have car if not below gandalf
got mussels from the fjord and tried fishing with mixed results
Showers at the cafe in henningsvaer
Take coffee.
Beer.. buy duty free and be prepared to drink it when the weather is gash!

enjoy!

Matt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...