UKC

Weather Forecast for the Old Man

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Puppythedog 31 May 2012
Could anyone recommend a good weather forecast website for the Old man of Hoy. I have discovered recently there are decent sites for other crags such as for The Roaches Mountain-forecast seem good.

Any tips would be appreciated.
James
 Mehmet Karatay 31 May 2012
In reply to puppythedog:

The Norwegian weather forecasts are often useful in Scotland. http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/Scotland/Hoy/hour_by_hour.html

Also, http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ is very useful for on-the-day forecasting. When you see the last few hours it's fairly simple to imagine what it may do in the next few hours. I found out about raintoday on here a while back and use it all the time.

Mehmet
 jonny taylor 31 May 2012
In reply to puppythedog:
Good luck. Don't have a particular website recommendation, but on the plus side it basically doesn't take any drainage (as you can imagine!), so is meant to dry pretty fast. It will be sandy and potentially greasy, but that will be the case whether or not there has been recent rain!
 Paul Evans 01 Jun 2012
In reply to puppythedog:
Hope all goes well. Note the Old Man itself does not take drainage but the "interesting" approach path certainly does, so if you can manage a day or two of dry weather beforehand that will help though not essential. Otherwise just take it steady, those members of the party in hiking boots found it easier than the one who wore trainers (me...).
Good luck, it's fantastic.
Paul
OP Puppythedog 01 Jun 2012
In reply to Paul Evans: Thank you and thanks also to the others that have posted. Since posting the not brilliant weather.co.uk now says that our ascent attempt day Tuesday is going to be lovely.

I will keep the world of UKC posted because I will either be bereft and wanting to share or exciting
 jonny taylor 10 Jun 2012
In reply to puppythedog:
Looks like you made it - congratulations!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...