UKC

Climbing Log Ticks - do they affect your choice of route?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BigHairyIan 01 Jun 2012
I have recently been adding my routes, going back in to the eighties, to my UKC log book. I have therefore been looking at the quantity of ticks that routes have, and recently I have used this to look at what routes I might choose to do. For example I am off to the Wye Valley tomorrow and have chosen two routes based on the grade (obviously!) and the fact that a lot of UKCers have ticked them.

Is this sensible? Or is this a self fulfilling prophesy? A bit like just doing the three star routes...

Do you take any notice of the volume of ticks that a route has BEFORE choosing to do it?
 Voltemands 01 Jun 2012
In reply to BigHairyIan: Nope.
 duzinga 01 Jun 2012
In reply to BigHairyIan: I did a lot when I was in UK, and I think it makes climbing more fun. If you do a popular route, you share the experience with all the people who have done it and wrote some comments about their experience.
 Oujmik 01 Jun 2012
In reply to BigHairyIan: I do, becuase routes with very few ticks are often hard to find, or not in the guidebook, or just rubbish. As a beginner I want to know that the route I'm tackling is easy to follow and correctly graded. I'm sure there are plenty of adventures to be had on less popular routes though...
 BelleVedere 01 Jun 2012
In reply to BigHairyIan:

Comments are more likely to sway me than volume - but generally i only look afterwards to see if others thought the same as me
 Monk 01 Jun 2012
In reply to BigHairyIan:

I definitely think that there is an element of self-fulfilling prophecy at work. For example, some of the routes with loads of ticks will be the lower grade routes, or the polished warm up routes, or the single pitch route among the multi-pitch classics.

Having said that, if people talk about routes, then I am inclined to have a go to see what everyone is talking about. I'm the same with books, music, and films. It doesn't mean I like them, just means I am curious and can have an informed opinion!
 cat22 01 Jun 2012
In reply to BigHairyIan: I use the number of ticks in certain local crags (in the Edinburgh area) to decide which to climb - any with few ticks have a much higher risk of loose rock!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...