UKC

new to climbing... HELP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 leehawkins 01 Jun 2012
hi. im new to climbing and have been bouldering at a local climbing center for the last 2 months. i have purchased a harness and belay device and would like to learn how to belay and start climbing. is there anyone who climbs in the south wales area who could offer some knowledge.

kind regards
lee
In reply to leehawkins: unfortunately I live in North Wales otherwise I'd have happily taken you out to do some real climbing! try at your local indoor wall or search the BMC's website for clubs in your area.
OP leehawkins 01 Jun 2012
In reply to leehawkins: thanks, i was in north wales 3 weeks ago walking snowdon at 2am was lovely lol
 AdCo82 01 Jun 2012
In reply to leehawkins:

does your local wall not do a course??

check on mlte for providers.......

AT
In reply to leehawkins: That's the best time to walk it - no crowds! If you're up here again, drop me an email higher(dot)climbing(at)gmail(dot)com
In reply to leehawkins: not sure where the local climbing centre with the walls are as ive only been to a bouldering centre, trying to find info on google
 colina 01 Jun 2012
In reply to leehawkins: frequentyly you get climbers training to be instructers who can take you out for free (or maybe some petrol money) as they need trainees to teach.you can be sure you will get excellent instruction as the techniques they show you will be assesed by experts..there was a post on here a couple of days ago (mia),may be of use to you
 AdCo82 01 Jun 2012
In reply to leehawkins: you will be able to search on UKC for your nearest wall.....
 AdCo82 01 Jun 2012
In reply to leehawkins:

click on Classifieds above.....you can search for loads there!!!

In reply to leehawkins: thanks. i found 2 instructors near my location and have emailed 1 of them as i know the other one through a friend and wants £40 for a hour of tuition
In reply to leehawkins: seems a bit steep to me given that one hour isn't very long to teach you much.
In reply to leehawkins: i thought the same, there has to be a lot to learn surely. at the end of the day i would be putting my life in the hands of the persorn belaying me and the other way around. i wouldnt want to miss any info out
 AdCo82 01 Jun 2012
In reply to leehawkins: do you not fancy a course like at Plas Y Brenin or somewhere similar???
In reply to leehawkins: I'd recommend getting a day course. you can usually pay about £80-120 for that depending on how many of you tehre are on the course.
 ericinbristol 01 Jun 2012
In reply to leehawkins:

Do you have a car? If you do, publicise it. I'm sure that there will be plenty of people willing to give some instruction in exchange for a lift, including pairs of people so there can be someone with you when you belay the other person.

Fill in a profile so that people have more of a sense of you.
In reply to leehawkins: Hi Lee, great to hear that you want to get into climbing.

As a general point, I'd suggest filling out a UKC profile with some basic info. The advice I'd give you will vary depending whether you are a 17 year old student with no transport or a 35 year old in full-time employment with a car.

The best place to learn to belay is at an indoor wall. I'd first try and see if anyone you meet at the bouldering wall also travels to one of the larger climbing walls. If so, see if you can tag along. Climbing indoors in a group of three is ideal for learning the basics. You can observe the other two belaying and then have one of them coach you as you practice it. Most experienced climbers will be able to teach belaying without making a complete hash of it. Once you can belay it is much easier to link up with others to climb.

Longer term, to go climbing, you will need climbing partners. The big question is therefore how you are going to meet them. There are several obvious routes for you to consider;
- via the climbing walls you visit by chatting to everyone you meet there.
- by specifically joining a local climbing club.
- by asking around where you work/study and asking all your acquaintances if they know anyone who climbs.
- by being involved with other organisations with an outdoors/sport focus.
- by meeting other climbers on courses.
- by advertising, via here on UKC or on noticeboards at climbing walls.
- by persuading/cajoling existing friends and acquaintances to also start climbing.

When it comes to climbing partners, like any friendship/relationship you need to make an effort. Don't expect people to immediately want to spend time climbing with you unless you do your best to be someone they will enjoy spending time with and have an understanding of what they want to get out of climbing with you. Equally, don't expect finding stacks of people to climb with to necessarily easy, it isn't. However, the longer you climb and the more people you meet, the easier it gets.

Finally, if you want to get instruction, I would recommend you find a least one other person in a similar situation (ideally more) and then book an instructor who is a member of the Association of Mountaineering Instructors (see http://www.ami.org.uk ). Anyone in the UK can set themselves up as a climbing instructor but with an AMI member you are guaranteed to get top notch instruction from a professional holding the highest level qualifications and not just someone who is trying to make money out of the fact the do a bit of climbing. The standard rate for an AMI instructor is around £170 per day which especially split 4 ways is not that bad.

HTH
OP leehawkins 02 Jun 2012
In reply to leehawkins: thanks engineer, ive been talking to a few ppl at the bouldering center i visit but have not yet asked anyone if i could join them as there are always new ppl there and not regulars. i have also phoned the welsh climbing center and they do a weekend crash course for £60

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...