/ Rope length for Cuillin Ridge traverse ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Patrick803 - on 01 Jun 2012
So, always assuming one can stay relatively on route, what would be the ideal rope length for a traverse of the Cuillin Ridge, guess Im mainly thinking of abseils, though I am aware some of these can be bypassed in various places.
Ta for any info.
JLS on 01 Jun 2012
In reply to Patrick803:

I read recently that the answer to this question is 40m. Damned if I'm going to cut 10m off one of my ropes. I intend to have my partner carry a 50... half.
Patrick803 - on 01 Jun 2012
In reply to JLS: Ha ha, lucky I have a very expensive brand new 60m rope that got cut by rockfall at 40m !!
Paluchi - on 01 Jun 2012
In reply to Patrick803: I took at 50m Beal joker with me last year, which was plenty long enough. If i was to do it again id take a thin diameter 40m alpine rope or a 50m half rope, as all of the climbing sections that you pitch such as TD gap, Kings Chimney, Inn Pinn and Bhastier tooth are all graded severe or less. So the chance of a significant lead fall are very small indeed. Light is right on the cuillin, so if your happy on exposed but easy terrain take a small or half rope. If your not then take the lightest full size rope you can find (such as the Beal Joker)

Hope this helps. If you need anymore info give me a shot

JP
The Ex-Engineer - on 02 Jun 2012
In reply to Patrick803: The Inn Pinn abseil is 16m (definitive answer from Andy Nisbet, Mike Yates (Skye Guides) and others on this thread http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=440494 ) and obviously that cannot be easily bypassed.

However, 40m will allow alternative abseils and gives more flexibility.
Andy Nisbet - on 02 Jun 2012
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

Weight counts. Go for 32m of half rope and trust you can lead on half rope alone. The small risk is worth it, but up to you.
Murko Fuzz - on 02 Jun 2012
In reply to Patrick803:

37m, if you really want shave off weight.
BMrider - on 02 Jun 2012
In reply to Andy Nisbet:
> (In reply to The Ex-Engineer)
>
> Weight counts. Go for 32m of half rope and trust you can lead on half rope alone. The small risk is worth it, but up to you.

Confirmed! My 30m rope was fine along the whole ridge, but at the Inn Pin abseil the unknotted ends passed through my descender a metre above the bottom, but allowing a gripped rope lower to the step down point. So 32m is adequate.
Have a ball !
Al Evans on 02 Jun 2012
In reply to Patrick803: I did it solo and carried a 120ft rope that was ample (that was the normal length of ropes at the timd) so a 50mt will be plenty.
JWB - on 02 Jun 2012
In reply to Al Evans: If you want to go ultra light weight then the Inn Pinn abb is not the limiting length, if you gamble on someone else being at the top to unclip your rope and let it drop......

As a back up of nobody else being around you could take some thin cord for a retrievable abb.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Mark Stevenson - on 02 Jun 2012
In reply to JWB:
> As a back up of nobody else being around you could take some thin cord for a retrievable abb.

I did think about that. That would mean the 20m of 8mm I currently have for scrambling plus 16m of 3mm would probably be about as light as it possibly gets.

You'd probably have to be a bit inventive as far as the abseil device goes, but I don't think that would be a show stopper.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.