UKC

Bouldering at Harrison's on 5th, anybody ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rockwarrior 02 Jun 2012
Hey Birds and Blockes!
How are u?
Hope very and very well!
Does anybody interested to have a bouldering session on 5th of June at Tunbridge Wells? Harrison? or Stone Farm?

I have 2 crash pads and will take an early train ( 7-8am) on Tuesday,
For sure it depends on the weather.

if you are in - just let me know,

cheers and have a very special climbing weekend! happy holidays!

Yeah!
OP Rockwarrior 04 Jun 2012
In reply to Rockwarrior:
The weather looks fine till 4 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2639022
i.munro 04 Jun 2012
In reply to Rockwarrior:

I was out on Sat & it was only dry in places & then it hammered down Sat evening & all Sunday.
OP Rockwarrior 06 Jun 2012
In reply to Rockwarrior:
the waeather was awesome ! I have been climbing at High Rocks! Nobody.. all the routes are in good condition and dry!
it start to rain only at 3 pm! it was fun!

have a nice week!

cheers
i.munro 06 Jun 2012
In reply to Rockwarrior:

There has not been an occasion when all the routes at High Rocks were dry for many years
& they certainly wouldn't have been yesterday considering how damp many areas were on Sat.

Nobody else was there because they have the decency not to climb when the fragile rock is made even more fragile by being damp.

OP Rockwarrior 06 Jun 2012
In reply to i.munro:
come on boring. it was pretty cool. the condition of the routes was nice and dry - for sure not all of them , in some crack there were waterfalls ( but probably they were for ages and nobody take care about it).
thank you anyway, it was nice to know.

probably it will make sense and good idea to set up couple / triple web cams over the popular locations/ routes to figure out the weather and routes conditions.
for example - charity fee of 2-5 GBP per forum user and it could be real thing.

Cheers
Removed User 08 Jun 2012
In reply to Rockwarrior: It's about time i.munro got a life, the shame of it someone enjoying themselves on possibly damp rock, whats the next stage close all damp outcrops!
 Scrump 08 Jun 2012
In reply to Removed User:
Some on enjoying them selves on damp Highrocks means that the rock gets trashed and less people enjoy it in future. Seeing as it one of the only decent bits of rock around here then maybe it is a shame when some one isnt aware/doesnt care about not climbing when its wet.
I think If more people has the same attitude as i.munro then the southern sandstone would still be in good shape.
 Fishmate 08 Jun 2012
In reply to i.munro:

Ditto, well said Ian.

To Rock Warrior. Surely when you climbed at the weekend you noticed grooves and chipping on the rock. What do you think will happen if everyone has your attitude and climbs on soft sandstone when it's wet? If you can't respect the rock enough to follow the rules or even bother to read them, then don't come back.... PLEASE.
OP Rockwarrior 08 Jun 2012
In reply to i.munro;myserable old git;Scrump; Fishmate:

Hey,

with all respect:
1) where i could find the path to the rules ( weather conditions etc) when it's possible to climb)
2) Do me a favour - do not judge the people, in order to be judge.
3) We are not chopping the rock and climbing only on a dry slopes. ( Tuesday)
4) I do respect the local rules and follow them, if i knew about them and their is a common sense.
5) that's great, that you are keen to preserve the rocks for the future. I do respect it and follow.
6) i do not respect , that people are ready for hunt if someone shout , that come one - let's go climbing etc. you could reply me back on Sun and advice with rules, forecast etc and do not blame afterwords .

be cool.
 Scrump 08 Jun 2012
In reply to Rockwarrior:
My criticism was not aimed at you. It was aimed at Myserable old git who seemed to say climbing on wet sandstone was ok.
I understand you may not know the rules, the are in the guidebook and posted around the rocks. I assume that you used your common sense and avoided doing any harm but a lot of people dont and thats why people can get quite annoyed about the subject. If you have any questions about the rules for southern sandstone then please feel free to ask.
In general all it comes down to is clean your shoes and dont use to much chalk. If you have to clean the chalk of the rock try slapping it with a cloth or very very very gentle brushing with the softish brush you can find applying as little pressure as possible.
If you set up a top rope please make sure the krab is over the top and if the rope is in contact with the rock place something there to protect the rock.
i.munro 08 Jun 2012
In reply to Scrump:

errr think you forgot ...

only climb when the rock is thoroughly dry ( not just on the surface).

As the rock is very weak when damp
i.munro 08 Jun 2012
In reply to Scrump:

& I'd now add a new one.

Don't post on the internet telling everyone that crags are dry when this isn't true as it will just encourage more damage,
 Scrump 08 Jun 2012
In reply to i.munro:
Completely true of course.
Removed User 08 Jun 2012
In reply to Rockwarrior: What I object to is putting down someone who very obviously enjoyed himself on rock which may or may not have been damp. Of course climbing on wet sandstone will ruin it in addition to not being much fun but you'd be much better employed parading in the car park at Harrisons with a banner telling all the youth groups etc to bugger of until it was dry!
 Scrump 08 Jun 2012
So what your saying is why bother to educate any one about the rules unless every one follows them? Enjoying your self is not a justification for causing damage (not that im saying that happened in this instance, this is not a dig at rock warrior). If youth groups cause problems then that should be dealt with as well and If I knew any details im do my best to do something.
In all honestly its probably all me pissing in the wind, no one seems to give a shit and the whole of southern sandstone will be trashed soon. Itll be a shame.
i.munro 08 Jun 2012

my problem , apart from him/her climbing when every other climber in SE England felt conditions were unsuitable was that he effectively called me a liar in public by contradicting the accurate report of conditions I had taken the trouble to provide.
 Trangia 08 Jun 2012

I'm with i.munro on this one. It's well known that wet sandstone should not be climbed on - if you look back through previous threads is a subject that comes up regularly.

Hopefully the OP understands the error of his ways and can now carry on enjoying sandstone responsibly and as enthusiastically as he originally posted.
Removed User 09 Jun 2012
In reply to Rockwarrior: There has not been an occasion when all the routes at High Rocks were dry for many years
& they certainly wouldn't have been yesterday considering how damp many areas were on Sat.
Nobody else was there because they have the decency not to climb when the fragile rock is made even more fragile by being damp.
Finally got a signal (LAMM)
You guys seem to have forgotten the joy of climbing for climbings sake for goodness sake don't sound so pompous, it's the organized parties (fortunately not at High Rocks) that are destroying sandstone not single individuals catching the train in the hope of some rock. I say this as someone who started on SS and visits a couple of times a year on family business for some soloing and gets more and more depressed by the state of much of the rock (not High Rocks no experience of the place for 15 years) but it's the groups not single individuals that are trashing everywhere give him a chance.
Tedward 09 Jun 2012
In reply to Rockwarrior:
Will be moving that way for work in July, and would be after people to climb with.

Bowles would be easiest for me to get to, also tends to be dryer than other outcrops near by.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=54

Take it easy
Edd
 Trangia 09 Jun 2012

Why don't you drop this? He's been given a wigging, hopefully got the message which should be end of. His enthusiasm is recognised and acknowledged, and its hoped he will enjoy many more trips to sandstone.
OP Rockwarrior 11 Jun 2012
In reply to Tedward:
Thank You! Awesome ! Lets be in touch and catch up in July on the rocks.

cheers
OP Rockwarrior 11 Jun 2012
In reply to Trangia:

OMG I don't need your permit but thank you for your hospitality.

Climbing is not a crime. Enjoy it and explore.

if you are climbing more , than 17 year, then your common sense will show you the path.

Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...