UKC

No4 Gully post ... where is it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 scottie390 02 Jun 2012
I read with mixed feelings the news that the post at No4 gully had been removed, so, where is it now?
 sheeny 02 Jun 2012
In reply to scottie390: with the price of scrap so high, probably china by now
In reply to scottie390: bottom of Gully No.5 it was vandalised last year but persons unknown for reasons unknown.
In reply to higherclimbingwales: There was a flag in situ at the top of No.4 in February this year when I had a week in Scotland. I'd heard it had been vandalised and was surprised to see the marker there.
In reply to Double Knee Bar: I think it was replaced by a good samaritan but some one mentioned in the Coire Leis Abseil post removal thread that the G.4 post was at the bottom of G. No.5?
Gog the Mild 03 Jun 2012
In reply to scottie390:

Deliberately removed and due to be replaced by a cairn: http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2012/06/01/new-cairns-will-mark-nevis-rout... .
 jonnie3430 03 Jun 2012
In reply to Gog the Mild:
> (In reply to scottie390)
>
> Deliberately removed and due to be replaced by a cairn: http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2012/06/01/new-cairns-will-mark-nevis-rout... .

Wrong posts, these are on CMD arete. The No 4 gully post was chucked down the gully earlier in the year, then reinstalled. I'd be very interested to know if it has been removed again.
 thomas 03 Jun 2012
In reply to scottie390: Definately wasn't there this February gone!
 Mehmet Karatay 03 Jun 2012
In reply to thomas:
> (In reply to scottie390) Definately wasn't there this February gone!

The post was there on 18 March 2012. It was put into a cairn and slightly wobbly when pushed away from the gully but solid if pulled towards it.

Mehmet
 Oceanic 03 Jun 2012
In reply to scottie390:

'The marker 'flag' and pole at the top of No.4 Gully, a popular grade I descent route in winter, has been removed and is also going to be replaced with a two metre high navigation cairn. This work is also expected to be completed by the end of July'.

From

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67163
Gog the Mild 03 Jun 2012
In reply to jonnie3430:
> (In reply to Gog the Mild)
> [...]
>
> Wrong posts, these are on CMD arete. The No 4 gully post was chucked down the gully earlier in the year, then reinstalled. I'd be very interested to know if it has been removed again.

Read to the end of the article: "The MCofS said the marker flag and pole at the top of Number 4 Gully, a popular grade 1 descent route in winter, has also been removed and will be replaced with a two-metre-high navigation cairn."
In reply to thomas: It was there on 5th February after we went up Ledge Route. It was one of the few things we saw in the whiteout.
 Ron Walker 03 Jun 2012
In reply to Double Knee Bar:

The pole was a really good navigational aid cum abseil anchor along with the corrugated steel bomb shelter next to it!
 thomas 04 Jun 2012
In reply to Double Knee Bar:

Sorry, weekend 9th March we were up there..no sign of the post! February was Glencoe my mistake!
andyathome 04 Jun 2012
In reply to Oceanic:
Two metres! Bloody hell - that's enormous. Why - its bigger then me....
Is the assumption that well over half of it will be permanently buried?

Are there plans for a sign saying 'I am the Number 4 Gully cairn' to be placed on it for the avoidance of confusion?
 AlH 04 Jun 2012
In reply to thomas: It was up there all winter and until Thursday last week (and i was the one who fished it out of No. 4 Gully in November and replaced it). As a result of the consultation process the JMT have decided to remove both the Coire Leis abseil posts and the No. 4 Gully flag. It seems to have been decided that the top post in Coire Leis and the No. 4 Gully marker were both important enough markers that they will be replaced with 2m high cairns in keeping with those marking the route from the top of the zig zags to the summit. The work was co-ordinated by the MCofS and included members of RAF MRTs and the Scottish Mountain Rescue Project Manager.
I don't know where the post is but a poster on another thread claims it to be at the base of No. 5 Gully. http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=508078
skarabrae 05 Jun 2012
In reply to AlH: rumour has it, that a local "guide"(who shall remain un-named)has a spare no4 marker post in his shed!

Cuthbert 05 Jun 2012
In reply to skarabrae:

I actually saw it at the weekend.....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...