UKC

winter jetboil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ezzpbee 04 Jun 2012
was given a tip for using the jetboil in winter, to put a gel handwarmer under the gas cartridge to keep it warm and presumably recharge another while boiling water ready for next time.
I was wondering if anyone has tried this and is it safe ?
 bouldery bits 04 Jun 2012
In reply to wobl:

Could do, but I just keep my canister in my sleeping bag which seems to work well enough.
 Dave B 05 Jun 2012
In reply to wobl:
Promise used to sell a gel pack specifically for this, so yes it's safe.
OP ezzpbee 05 Jun 2012
In reply to Dave B: roll on winter so I can try it
 morpcat 05 Jun 2012
In reply to wobl:

Used a Jetboil in Iceland with temps down to -15C and didn't have any trouble. Shouldn't really be a need for gel packs to be honest as long as you have the right gas. If it's that cold I'd rather use them for myself!

Just keep gas canisters off the ground and warm them up a little before using, and make sure to gradually add snow to melt it rather than just smashing the lot in. No trouble whatsoever*

*except trying to light the damn thing in the wind
 Sharp 06 Jun 2012
In reply to wobl: Once it's going you can pour a spoonful of the hot water onto the canister before putting more snow/ice in and it'll launch back into life.
 wilkie14c 06 Jun 2012
In reply to Sharp:
I find having a Trangia to gently warm the gas canister helps too

But seriously, off the ground helps a lot <in snow> and bare hands on the canister helps too, the heat from your hands is enough to help the fuel turn to vapour
OP ezzpbee 07 Jun 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:
> (In reply to Ben Sharp)

off the ground helps a lot

I was told that the gel packs were used with a hanging kit in snow

wilkie14c 08 Jun 2012
In reply to wobl: makes sense that, at the end of the day its all about ambiant temp so even a fraction of a difference will make a difference

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...