/ Crags near Aberdeen

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
amadan - on 06 Jun 2012
Hello all,

Could any of you guys recommend the best crags round Aberdeen for a practice, looking for a good selection of diff / v diff. I was thinking on the cliffs to the south but does anyone know of a particular place that would be good.

Thanks.
StuDoig - on 06 Jun 2012
In reply to amadan:

You'll toil for many crags with a good selection of Diff/V.diffs in one location - most likely you'll need to jump between venues doing a route or two at each. A lot of the diffs tend to be pretty grotty as well or descet routes so be wary!

Try Souterhead - a reasonable number there.

Black Rock Gulch has some good severes if you feel up to trying severe.

Theres a few diff / vdiff / severes at Pass of Ballater as well if you're further a-field. Though Ballater is best at VS+ imo.

Cheers.

StuMsg - on 06 Jun 2012
In reply to amadan:
Clach na Beinn looks good, never been before but might try it out next weekend.
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=78
amadan - on 06 Jun 2012
In reply to amadan: Thanks for the replies. Yeah Clach Na Bhein does look like there will be plenty options so might head there if the weather is good when I get back onshore. Anyone else been here? I seem to have too much time to plan and not enough time to do these days..
mrbird - on 02 Jul 2012
In reply to amadan: Buy the North East Outcrops guide. A wee booky full of all the gems in and around the North East....
Chris wilson on 02 Jul 2012
In reply to mrbird: The NEO doesn't have many good diff venues, souterhead is a good suggestion on the south aberdeen sea cliffs. Clachnaben is a great place for easy climbs but you need really good weather conditions or it can be a miserable place to try and climb, as its a very exposed position. On the north coast, you can't beat Meikle Partans and the severes are worth a go as they are well protected. Cummingston has a lot of vdiffs but they tend to be very sandy and not worth the effort imo. The diffs at the pass are reasonable too and worth a visit.
mrbird - on 07 Jul 2012
In reply to Chris wilson: Cheers for the info. Might get to try them when/if the weather improves.
ads.ukclimbing.com
GrahamJ on 07 Jul 2012
In reply to Chris wilson:

Greymare?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.