UKC

Trekking Poles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 06 Jun 2012
On Monday evening I went part of the way up Snowdon via the Miners Path. I reached a point just short of where the Miners Path joins the PyG Track in about 1.5 hours(map measurement 3.14 miles).

I deliberately took a pack weighing quite a bit more than a day sack(maybe 20-25lbs) and walked without using trecking poles.

Interestingly I seemed to maintain a faster pace than I have done lately whilst carrying a day sack and using poles. Is there any truth in that you use more energy using poles(using your arms more) and could this have made a difference?
 Foolow Mike 06 Jun 2012
In reply to mypyrex:
Not sure about using more energy whilst using poles, however I found that on steep uphills whilst carrying a load I can maintain a longer stride when using poles rather than taking smaller strides without using poles.

On the Miners Path there was probably good traction too. Poles are really helpful to maintain a good stride on either loose or slippery ground but I find they are of little use on easy terrain.

For me Poles come into their own in descent (though this is not what you are posting about).
OP mypyrex 06 Jun 2012
In reply to Michael Hunt:
> (In reply to mypyrex)
> For me Poles come into their own in descent (though this is not what you are posting about).
Yes, with a 66 year old pair of knees I do tend to use them on descent and agree with what you say about easy ground. I suppose it's on the "middle ground" (ascent and descent) where they are useful. Easy terrain=no point in them; very steep=more likely to use your hands for stability.
 Foolow Mike 06 Jun 2012
In reply to mypyrex:
Well I was 44 when I started using poles after a 2800m descent. Knackered knees for a couple of days. Not without poles in the alps now.

I put a short piece about poles on my blog about 2 weeks ago.
http://sierranevadaguides.blogspot.co.uk/
 Ron Walker 06 Jun 2012
In reply to mypyrex:

If I use poles a lot to save my knees I get problems with my wrists elbows and shoulders. I avoid using them unless absolutely necessary...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...