UKC

AK47 floating lid

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Luk e 06 Jun 2012

I'm thinking about buying either the AK47, or AK47X. The difference being the floating lid. But not sure what the 'floating lid' is exactly. From what I can discern in the product info, is that it adds 5 litres to the overall capacity and costs £10 more.

Could someone please explain.

Cheers,

Kit
 peas65 06 Jun 2012
In reply to kit perry:

The difference is that the normal AK47 at the back the lid (top pocket of rucksack) is attached so you cannot adjust it when carrying a rope. The AK47 the lid is attached on with compressible straps to allow you to expand them to allow an extra 5 litres of carrying space. It makes a big difference as with the expanding top the AK47 has a much larger capacity and is more practical.
 dale1968 06 Jun 2012
In reply to kit perry: www.crux.uk.com/en/crux_rucksacks_ak47-x.php
 Tonto 09 Jun 2012
Hello Perry,
I have a virtually unused AK47X in orange/red size 3. £105.00 delivered if anyone is interested

Regards
Mike
PS-I bought an Arcteryx Arrakis 50 sac that has made the Crux redundant for me.
 Skyfall 09 Jun 2012
In reply to kit perry:

If you are interested in a technical 'alpine' sac like the AK47 I would have thought you would want the floating lid. It's one of the reasons I got it. Having said that, slightly disappointed in the sac after several year's use now. But still a good sac.
 markez 09 Jun 2012
In reply to kit perry: A 'floating lid' isn't always better either. I have a Marmot pack, where the floating lid sags and is in general a PITA if the sack is not fully loaded. Maybe consider how much the pack is going to be at maximum capacity for your uses.
 rdelf 09 Jun 2012
In reply to kit perry: *read this expecting illegal gun talk*
 Damo 10 Jun 2012
In reply to markez:

Yeh, I've gone off floating lids a bit. They rarely form a weatherproof seal, so if you're climbing in wet conditions they can let moisture in the top. And when empty, they often sag and flop around - depends on the design.

Also, the extension is really best for voluminous but light items like down jackets, as if you load up these packs so far above their basic geometry they don't carry as well. If you're regularly using the lid extended you should just buy a bigger pack.
 rustaldo 11 Jun 2012
In reply to kit perry: floating lid is like a beret but for when you're crossing thresholds and such.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...