UKC

Phone cameras, how good are they really?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 07 Jun 2012
Do you think that phone cameras are as good as the mass produced cameras that Joe Public buys from the major brands?

Blue Straggler 07 Jun 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

The best phone cameras are better than the Concord £30 digital cameras.
The worst phone cameras are not better than a Canon G12, which is a mass produced camera that Joe Public buys from a major brand.
 DreadyCraig 07 Jun 2012
In reply to The Lemming:
Until a couple of years ago I could never see the point of using a phone camera to take pictures as the quality was terrible.
But now the pictures (in the right conditions) are actually very good. One thing that really suprised me was when I was sorting through some pics on my computer the other day, I clicked on an old camera phone picture and realised how small the image was compared to the pictures from my HTC smartphone.
Still wont replace my point and shoot for climbing or my DSLR for proper photos..... yet
In reply to The Lemming:

I think imaging-resource has reviewed the iphone hs and Galaxy s2 as cameras. Basically they do fairly well. But they have no zoom

I'm confident that my £100 canon is better in every way. But that doesn't mean that camera phones can't produce a good print

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/GALAXY-S2/GALAXY-S2A.HTM

most camera phone cameras won't match this. I think the Sony exmoor cameras are meant to be good
What Goes Up 07 Jun 2012
In reply to DreadyCraig: That new Nokia 41mp one looks very impressive from what I saw, and they're getting to the point where I'm tempted to get a phone with a good camera on contract rather than separately buy a good point and shoot (figuring that I'll still be spending about the same on a phone contract regardless). One thing I'd love to see is a camera phone which can shoot in RAW - it's been mooted but I'm not sure it's there quite yet.
 Dave B 07 Jun 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

HTC Wildfire was rubbish. Really awful.
Sony Xperia Active is good enough not to worry about taking a camera most of the time.

The same is true of p&s cameras

the Nikon Coolpic one of my friends got is pretty awful - worse than the Sony Xperia, but better than the wildfire.

The I-Pad camera seems quite good at macro, but faintly ridiculous to use... Strike that. Really ridiculous to use.
OP The Lemming 07 Jun 2012
In reply to DreadyCraig:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
> Until a couple of years ago I could never see the point of using a phone camera to take pictures as the quality was terrible.

Yesterday I discovered some orchids where I live and went out with my dSLR to take some shots. During the evening I went back out and took a couple of shots with my phone camera. I haven't really played with the phone as I've got a dSLR and a half decent compact Canon S90 but I was mightily impressed with the results.

I doubt that the inbuilt flash will stand up to much, but in good daylight this is what I got. I was quite shocked at how sharp the image is for a phone with no zoom.

Maybe compacts have a serious threat to their place in the photography world with the great unwashed amature such as myself?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/the1lemming/7347761538/in/photostream
cap'nChino 08 Jun 2012
In reply to The Lemming: Nick Johola seem to like his camera phone.
 halo 08 Jun 2012
In reply to The Lemming: I must admit my Android phone actually houses a Carl Zeiss lense. Whilst the lense is practically the camera, I could make a perfectly good image from a pin-hole camera.

It seems though the market is changing, certain cameras now have the capability of housing an SD card that supports Wi-fi, making it easy for uploading frames to your favourite socialmedia site, that much easier.

Perhaps this were the competitive edge comes from? iphone seem to be marketing the newer model this way.
 halo 08 Jun 2012
In reply to What Goes Up: So does that mean that the very manufacturer mentioned, may well produce software to process the RAW files?
 Roguevfr 08 Jun 2012
In reply to The Lemming: I had a Sony Ericsson c905 which had a superb lens and was 8 mp, it was better than the camera I had at the time. Sadly, the cameras on my two HTC android phones have been dire.
 Mike Stretford 08 Jun 2012
In reply to The Lemming: Let's get straight to it.

When you feign injury in an attempt to get rescued by Prince William, it's going to look a bit obvious if you pull out a high spec SLR, were as you'll get away with a quick snap on the camera phone.
cap'nChino 08 Jun 2012
In reply to Anonymous: Blasphemer!!! Be gone with thee.
 kevin stephens 08 Jun 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

sensor size
 DreadyCraig 08 Jun 2012
In reply to cap'nChino:
> (In reply to The Lemming) Nick Johola seem to like his camera phone.

Oh how I hate that advert! so goddam pretentious
RCJ 08 Jun 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Just received my Samsung Galaxy S3 today... and camera is really good
 Alex Slipchuk 08 Jun 2012
In reply to kevin stephens: i use a nokia n8, it has a compact camera sized sensor, and f2.8lens, it doesn't beat my g9 for overall quality, but good photos are easily accessible in an instant. I'd recommend it, and i'll be considering the new version. It's always with me, easily charged from a car and easily communicated via internet etc. I don't print as often as i used to as my walls have finite space.
 Alex Slipchuk 08 Jun 2012
In reply to The Big Man: there are 2 photos on my profile with nokia n8, savage slit and the red deer at the kingy, both occasions the phone was all i has with me. Point to note, mobile networks replace phones easier than insurance companies replace cameras.
What Goes Up 08 Jun 2012
In reply to RCJ:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
>
> Just received my Samsung Galaxy S3 today... and camera is really good

Just got one today and having a little play now (couldn't wait for anything any longer as the phone I had until now was an absolute piece of crap). Impressed so far, especially how close it can get on macro. Screen's a blinder as well, that definitely beats anything I've seen on the back of a compact.
RCJ 08 Jun 2012
In reply to What Goes Up:

Yeah they are spot on, however moving from apple to android is unusual. Only had a glance at the camera, but in the peaks soon, so will have a proper play then!
 Cadairmanuk 08 Jun 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

my iphone 4s is great but no zoom capabilities!

b
 DreadyCraig 09 Jun 2012
In reply to RCJ:
> (In reply to What Goes Up)
>
> moving from apple to android is unusual.
I know loads of people who have got fed up with apple and thier overpricing and locking you in to obscure formats and programs and have moved to android
ben_xxlxxl69 19 Jun 2012
In reply to The Lemming: They say the best camera in the world is the one you have on you when you need to take a photo, that a side camera phones are ment for short range (a couple of feet) and need alot of light
 hokkyokusei 19 Jun 2012
In reply to Roguevfr:
> (In reply to The Lemming) I had a Sony Ericsson c905 which had a superb lens and was 8 mp, it was better than the camera I had at the time. Sadly, the cameras on my two HTC android phones have been dire.

I had one of those and agree that it was very good.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...