UKC

Bassett Cove, Cornwall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 richardkeast 12 Jun 2012
Has anyone bouldered at Bassett's Cove near Portreath, as described in the CC West Cornwall Guidebook? Am I right in thinking that the Wave is the obvious overhanging piece of rock to the left hand side of the cove as you look out to sea?

Having used a couple of search engines I can't find any info whatsoever, but it's a cool place and definately has an atmosphere! Any info appreciated.
 cornishben 08 Jul 2012
In reply to richardkeast: the Wave is a bit further down the coast. I've surfed at Bassets but never bouldered
 Wonrek 08 Jul 2012
In reply to richardkeast: Given the difficulty accessing Bassets and the obscure description in the guidebook (and more than a little local knowledge) I'd say it's not worth the time or effort.

I've been down there many times and can honestly say I've never seen anything that struck me as a definitive problem. More a few boulders to clamber about on as part of a jolly afternoon on the beach.

Unless you are an incurable guidebook ticker?

Cx
 King prawn 09 Jul 2012
In reply to richardkeast:
Bassset's a nice spot for surfing, but I never considered bouldering there. The Wave is West of Basset's Cove and approached from one of the other cliff top car parks. You can't see it from above and I'm fairly sure you climb down over exposed rock (the top side of the wave) to get there. Been about 8 yrs since I was there so sorry if this is a bit vague

Not sure what the guide says, but it's all pretty tough (too tough for me!). Take a crash pad and beware of the nudist beach when you're trying to find the place

Cheers, Andy
OP richardkeast 19 Jul 2012
Cheers for the info guys! Sorry it took me a while to reply, recent addition to the family last week, 10lb baby boy, awesome!

The consensus seems to be that it's not worth the bother! I tend to go to Carn Brea and Godrevy mostly anyway, so I'm not going to run out of stuff to do for the foreseeable future!

If anyone fancies meeting up for a session at some point, drop me a line. Have car, will travel! As an aside, is anyone doing the Clotted Rock Zummerfest in Aug? I may well be going, if I can get a 'leave pass' for the weekend.
OP richardkeast 19 Jul 2012
In reply to Clears:

"Unless you are an incurable guidebook ticker? "

OK, you got me!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...