UKC

Finger numbness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Vulgar_Monkey 16 Jun 2012
Ok, I'm not a total beginner (been climbing for a year now, 3 sessions a week at up to 5-7 hours a session.....quite a bit, plus outdoor stuff), but for lack of a dedicated health subforum this seemed like as good a place for this topic as any.

So. The other day I'd completed a route and slung my arm over the top girder while messing with the screwgates to lower off as usual. Was there longer than usual as I had to wait for someone on the opposing panel to lower and move aside, so by the time I'd moved my arm had gone dead from the girder pressing into my armpit.

Figured my arm would liven up again soon as circulation restored, which it did, but my thumb and first two fingertips remained numb. This was over two days ago now and they donn't seem to be improving.

I still figure it must be some sort of nerve compression, but wouldn't expect it to take so long to resolve. Anyone know of any mitigating factors that may be relevant, or other suggestions?
 simon kimber 16 Jun 2012
In reply to Vulgar_Monkey:
I'm not a doctor but it does sound like nerve damage to me. They take ages to heal. I once wore a pair of really tight climbing shoes for 11 hours non stop and lost feeling from the tip of my big toe for about 2 years. I've also damaged nerves in the back of my hand from jamming far to hard, that took about 6 months to come back. My missus is trying to deal with a rather more severe kind of nerve damage, and she's made noticeable progress over the last 3 months. Basically, every case is different, but I doubt it'll be a problem for too long.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...