UKC

Can I oil my leki pole

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lukeanoble 17 Jun 2012
Well....... Can I?
 richprideaux 17 Jun 2012
In reply to lukeanoble:

Not a great idea... Why would you want to?
 Alan Taylor 17 Jun 2012
In reply to lukeanoble: After cleaning I use talc.
 hexcentric 17 Jun 2012
In reply to lukeanoble: You can do pretty much whatever you want in the privacy of your own room.
 Darkskys 17 Jun 2012
In reply to lukeanoble: Give it a thorough clean and bob some wd40 on it and leave it separated over night. Then give it a rub down
 AndyC 17 Jun 2012
In reply to lukeanoble:
> Well....... Can I?

You certainly can, whether you should lubricate something that requires a piece of nylon to maintain a firm grip on the inside of a slippery aluminium tube is another question... don't do it - it'll end in tears!

OP lukeanoble 17 Jun 2012
In reply to lukeanoble:
thanks to all
 Trangia 17 Jun 2012
In reply to AndyC:
> (In reply to lukeanoble)
> [...]
>
> You certainly can, whether you should lubricate something that requires a piece of nylon to maintain a firm grip on the inside of a slippery aluminium tube is another question... don't do it - it'll end in tears!

Probably literally as your collapsing pole catapults you off the boulder you're standing on and into the stream you are in the middle of crossing! I've had that happen even without the help of oil in the tube.

johang 17 Jun 2012
In reply to lukeanoble: Don't oil your leki pole. They lock when small expanders inside expand (funnily enough) and press against the inside wall. Oiling your poles will reduce friction and lead to catastrophic failure.
 DerwentDiluted 17 Jun 2012
In reply to lukeanoble:

Use silicone spray.
 Darkskys 17 Jun 2012
In reply to lukeanoble: Theyre completely fine to clean and oil. I've had my Leki's For years and extended their life by doing this! No change in friction
 wilkie14c 17 Jun 2012
In reply to lukeanoble: I'm guessing that they aren't locking up or you are having difficulty getting them to lock? The answer is to clean the locking mech on each section. Fill em oil if you like but it ain't going to fix them until you resore the threads on the screws. Understanding how they work is the key to having trouble free poles. To clean the threads i've found a wire brush wheel that fits into a drill very good, only a quid or so from wilkinsons.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...