/ Wide fitting Alpine/Winter boot's ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Nath93 - on 17 Jun 2012
Is there such a thing ? My feet are fairly wide and i'm looking to get a pair of B2 or B3 boots for the coming winter and perhaps the Alps next summer. I'll be living on Skye so it's got to be something that can stand up a bit, although they won't be on anything much much technical. Will also be used for summer scrambling etc. Any help ?
Mark / Alps - on 18 Jun 2012
In reply to Nath93:
I also have wide feet. For me the Sportiva last works well. I have had Trango evo GTX and found them brilliant for winter and alpine climbing.
In reply to Nath93: I have a wide forefoot and high arches. For me the La Sportiva is terrible - I am not disagreeing with the personal experience of the poster above though, his feet and his boots are not my feet and my boots! La Sportiva are often considered to be narrow. I bought a pair of Zamberlan Expert Pro B3 boots, the difference in fit and comfort was unbelievable. You could also look at Scarpa boots - there isn't the best selection in the UK, you can buy cheaply from France via telemark-pyrenees.com. Don't worry about ordering from Europe by mail - mine arrived within a week and to be sure of the size, I tried on loads and loads of different Scarpa models in the size I wanted to be sure I was ordering the correct size.
In reply to Nath93: I've got fairly wide feet - particularly around the toes - and these three options all work well for me, as they've got quite a rounded and not too-asymmetric toe: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/gear/review.php?id=4385

Disclaimer: it's your foot's shape as much as its breadth that determines which boots are best for you. You really have to thoroughly try on many models before you buy.
In reply to Nath93: P.S. Most winter boots are too warm and heavy for summer scrambling
summitjunkie - on 18 Jun 2012
In reply to Nath93: I too have a wide foot and swear by Scarpas. Only tried La Sportiva once and they crippled me on a training walk so sold them on after just one wear. Conversely, out of the eight pair of Scarpas that I've had (six boots, two approach shoes) the only time I had problems was with a pair of old style Mantas. However, a different sock and an alteration to the lacing soon sorted them out and they were sound after that.
Darkskys - on 18 Jun 2012
In reply to Nath93: If your after wide fitting stay away from La Sportiva...I bought a pair of nepals which crippled me when I wore them. I'm now looking for a pair of Scarpa B3's.
In my own opinion I have a pair of Charmoz which are ace for all year round noots. They suit scrambling and a bit of winter mountaineering!
You can't go wrong with them. I've took them up Mont Blanc and around the alps and have been great!
iksander on 18 Jun 2012
In reply to Nath93: I've got wide/ flat (H) feet and always found Raichles good, maybe Mammut (who bought them a while back) boots will be worth trying? There's usually a trade off between weight and durability - many would say go for full leather if durability is more important than weight/ performace
In reply to OP: Scarpa Triolets are very similar to Charmoz but a bit more durable. Worth a good look.
Nath93 - on 18 Jun 2012
In reply to Nath93: Thanks everyone for the replies, will give some Scarpas a try on and see how they feel. I currently have a pair of Mammut walking boots (Impact) and they seem to fit my feet quite nicely so may give something like the Monolith a try as well.
Kai - on 18 Jun 2012
In reply to Nath93:

I will echo what has bee said by others:

Mammut and Scarpa fit wide feet well.

Sportiva are generally much narrower.
fil-p - on 18 Jun 2012
In reply to Nath93: I've got wide feet and Sportiva seem to fit the best, trango extremes are awesome fitting, Nepal evos took some breaking in then fit like slippers. Mammut Mamooks crippled my feet, scarpa phantom ultras are a good fit too. I can wear those straight out of the box but still prefer I broken in pair of sportis
Nath93 - on 18 Jun 2012
In reply to Nath93: I'm really wary of buying narrow boots after losing out on 130 when I bought a pair of Asolos and I ended up hobbling my way of a 8 hour day in Arrochar !

Scarpa and Mammut definatley seems like my best bet.

Anyone got any experience with Salewa, Garmont or Aku ?
Nath93 - on 18 Jun 2012
In reply to nickinscottishmountains: Thanks, that site looks pretty good. What's the pricing like on delivery from the continent ?
mrchewy - on 18 Jun 2012
In reply to Nath93: Mate has Berghaus Kibos - proper wide fitting!
In reply to Nath93: 20 euros, peanuts frankly.
Nath93 - on 18 Jun 2012
In reply to nickinscottishmountains: only a few quid more than what you would pay for delivery here. Or what you'd pay in petrol to go pick them up !
In reply to Nath93: Exactly - the prices are lower buying from them, so the 20 euros still make it better than buying in UK. I got Triolets, but the Rebels look good too.
Nath93 - on 18 Jun 2012
In reply to nickinscottishmountains: Like the look of the Rebels, although they might be a bit OTT for what I need.

Triolets look like a good boot. Will have to try on a few Scarpa models before I commit to buying anything though !
In reply to Nath93: I really like my Triolets. They are the same fit as the Charmoz, which you can try on for size in Tiso. And for 219 euros posted, 175, they are the steal of the century.

Nath93 - on 18 Jun 2012
In reply to nickinscottishmountains: Thats a really good price. I think all in the Rebels would come to about 250 inc P&P ! Think thats a saving of 100 compared to Snow&Rock !

Will try on a pair of Charmoz this weekend and see how they feel, then its time to start saving the pennies !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.