UKC

Glencoe & Fort William vs Cairngorms

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AdCo82 19 Jun 2012
Where do you prefer for winter out of Ben Nevis & Glencoe as one whole area or Cairngorms???

Reasons why......
 isi_o 19 Jun 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:
Ben Nevis & Glencoe. Because I don't have to drive too far to get to them!
Nice to go to the Northern Corries for the dossy walk-in sometimes though for sure
 andyd1970 19 Jun 2012
In reply to An Triubhas: Cairngorms corries have easier walk ins but I do love going to Glencoe. I think its great to do either but Fort William has a lot more to it than Aveimore, even though Aveimore is still great.
 James Smith 19 Jun 2012
In reply to An Triubhas: depends on energy levels/time. if ive already had a few days out and knackered or rushing to get back for something then northern corries it is. For a really good big day though id be heading west. I enjoy both for different reasons but id probably give the edge to places out west as they just tend to feel much bigger and more adventurous. Nothing like a walk-in to somewhere like SCNL to wake you up in the morning either! haha
 isi_o 20 Jun 2012
In reply to James S:
> Nothing like a walk-in to somewhere like SCNL to wake you up in the morning either! haha

Ah... the Hurt Lochan...
 Sharp 21 Jun 2012
In reply to An Triubhas: Prefer the west myself. Partly just familiarity and a gerneral preference for that side of the country, partly for the walk ins.

Ben
 Mike Pescod 21 Jun 2012
In reply to An Triubhas: The west is best, where the hills are pointy and the ridges sharp.

Mike
In reply to Mike Pescod: Correction: The west is wettest, and if you didn't go east occasionally you'd be totally 'Gormless
 AlH 21 Jun 2012
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:
> (In reply to Mike Pescod) Correction: The west is wettest,
Not this summer it isn't
Quite enjoying everyone else whinging about the weather for a change
 Mike Pescod 23 Jun 2012
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com: I see what you did there, 'Gormless'.

I gauge my winter's by how few days I need to go east!

Mike
 Lew13 23 Jun 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

The Ben because it's got a big mountain feel.

The 'Gorms because of how accessible the climbing is.

Glencoe because of the Clachaig.
 yer maw 23 Jun 2012
In reply to An Triubhas: You can't compare in my opinion cause in Scotland you go where the conditions will be good. Both have accessible and long approaches. I like Creag Meggy the most.
 Jamie B 25 Jun 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

You've only got one rock-type in the 'Gorms, so there is far more variety of climbing in the West.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...