UKC

Dutch climber dies at Bosigran, Cornwall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
In reply to cham749: it's only the report that says he was a "climber". could have been a hiker, bird spotter, tourist, beach walker really. press lump 'em all together usually.
 mcdougal 21 Jun 2012
In reply to unclesamsauntibess:

It doesn't really matter if he was a climber or not, it's still saddening.
Jim at Work 21 Jun 2012
In reply to mcdougal:
Very sad - there is another post suggesting he was on LBJ.
 Dux 21 Jun 2012
In reply to cham749:

He was in the area of LBJ but his colleague - party of Dutch policemen - said it was not this route he fell on. Possibly top pitch of Anvil Chorus.

Winched by RN Sea King from around the 2nd belay of Doorway after being lowered and given 1st aid by his group. Well equipped party with oxygen, longboard, sked and defibrillator. We were standing by to receive and stretcher if required.

Condolences to his family and friends.
OP cham749 22 Jun 2012
In reply to Dux: Thanks for the info update Dux. Anvil Chorus has claimed lives before.
 The Ivanator 22 Jun 2012
In reply to cham749: Sad and sobering news. Condolences to all friends and family. Take care out there everyone.
 helix 23 Jun 2012
Feeling really sh1tty about this, whichever route it was, Bosigran is such a wonderful place, to hear of this tragedy is soooooo miserable
 Jonny2vests 23 Jun 2012
In reply to mcdougal:
> (In reply to unclesamsauntibess)
>
> It doesn't really matter if he was a climber or not, it's still saddening.

I think it kind of matters to us as this is a climbing related forum where we discuss climbing related events.
 Bulls Crack 23 Jun 2012
In reply to jonny2vests:
> (In reply to mcdougal)
> [...]
>
> I think it kind of matters to us as this is a climbing related forum where we discuss climbing related events.

True but often on these forums you see a - what shall I say - less than respectful attitude to non-climbers deaths

Very sad news anyway.
 JamesO!? 24 Jun 2012
In reply to cham749:
I wonder if he was wearing a helmet..?
 lowersharpnose 24 Jun 2012
In reply to JamesO!?:

You, Sir, are a tw*t.
 Calder 24 Jun 2012
In reply to lowersharpnose:
> (In reply to The_Boy_ODwyer)
>
> You, Sir, are a tw*t.

Along similar lines to my thoughts.
Removed User 25 Jun 2012
In reply to cham749: A little more information here:

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2012/06/dutch_policeman_killed_while_...

"A member of an elite Dutch police arrest team has been killed during a training exercise in England"
 Luke90 25 Jun 2012
In reply to cham749:
I was climbing there around this time last year and met a bunch of Dutch policemen, I presume they have a regular training trip down to Cornwall. They were friendly, helpful and very capable climbers. Really sad to hear this news.
robert oakton 30 Jun 2012
In reply to cham749: sad news and my thoughts are with his family and friends.
 Tom Hutton 30 Jun 2012
In reply to cham749: So it was Doorway not Anvil Chorus? Or was that where they lowered him? Tragic - thoughts are with his friends and family.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...