UKC

Ski Holiday on a budget

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cha1n 24 Jun 2012
Hey

I'm desperate to get away again as it's been 2 years since my last snowboard holiday. Does anyone have any recommendations to get a good deal? Is it cheaper to book everything individually?

Are there resorts that have decent areas on free lifts? My girlfriend and I are beginners anyway so wouldn't need any fancy slopes but would prefer it wasn't drag lifts (PITA for snowboarders).

I'd love it if I could make it affordable to go again but with the cheapness of climbing holidays it makes it hard to justify in a way. Seems that lift passes are one of the main costs aswell as transfers.

Thanks for any help!
 rj_townsend 24 Jun 2012
In reply to cha1n: Crystal have some of their "Ski Extra" packages advertised at £399 including accommodation, flights and lift pass.

Quite tempted myself...
OP cha1n 25 Jun 2012
In reply to cha1n:

Thanks for the replies. The problem with that is my girlfriend can only have the school holidays off so it'd have to be during holidays or Christmas and the crystal dates are after that.
 zoobizooretta 25 Jun 2012
In reply to cha1n:

Just wait till the last minute. Its a gamble, but you always get a good deal.
 DaveHK 25 Jun 2012
In reply to cha1n:
> (In reply to cha1n)
>
> Thanks for the replies. The problem with that is my girlfriend can only have the school holidays off so it'd have to be during holidays or Christmas and the crystal dates are after that.

If that's the case then a last minute deal is your only hope.

mullermn 25 Jun 2012
In reply to cha1n:

The problem with that is my girlfriend can only have the school holidays off

I think in extenuating circumstances you can get permission for extra time off by writing to her head master.

John Ww 25 Jun 2012
In reply to mullermn:
> (In reply to cha1n)
>
> I think in extenuating circumstances you can get permission for extra time off by writing to her head master.

Yeah, right - dream on!
 MLC 25 Jun 2012
In reply to cha1n:

Try posting on here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/

Reckon last minute would be your best option- last year Crystal had loads of good last minute deals- plus you could get a good idea of snow conditions before you book
 Chris Beck 25 Jun 2012
In reply to cha1n: Have a look at either the Slovakian or Polish Tatras.
The Slovak side has the better resorts , but will be more expensive than the Polish side.

http://www.jasna.sk/en/winter/

The Polish side has lots of smaller lifts all fairly close to Zakopane ,all easily reached from town..
Easy jet fly direct from Gatwick/Liverpool to Krakow ... then its a 2 hour bus trip to Zakopane.
In general its a really nice affordable place to ski or board.

johnboybuchan 25 Jun 2012
In reply to cha1n:
Get 4 of you in a car and drive down to les Contamines near Chamonix. Buy your kit on ebay now and sell it when you get back, saving on rental charges. fill the car with cheap food and wine and book a cheap studio flat with owners direct or similar.Loads of studios 5mins from the hill. Lift pass reasonable price too. take lunch up the hill with you. take a food flask and a drinks flask with you even chuck a couple of beers in the bag for apre sesh. the savings will be amazing if you eat in and take it steady in the bars.

JB
Jimbo W 25 Jun 2012
In reply to cha1n:

There's usually something good to get last minute with the bonus of being more in control of where to go with snow. I'm not sure how good it is now, and I can't remember the price exactly, but we had a very economical trip to Tignes les Boisses staying at the Auberge de Jeunesse full board. It was comfortable, the breakfast was great, the takeaway lunch box they did was amazing, and the suppers were perfectly acceptable. There's a bar on sight, and there weren't any other Brits. Ski passes bought on sight were slightly subsidised. That was a few years ago, but it was really worthwhile fun.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...